How to replace brake pads in a shoe. Weinmann 500 calipers

anti1869

Retro Newbie
Hello. I have Weinmann type 500 caliper brakes that come with original pretty worn red pads. They look like these on attached photo (from the web, not mine). I found replacement pads for it, but I don't know how to safely remove old ones from their shoes and insert new ones.

I guess they should be pushed to one side and slided out, but there is some kind of one-way/locking perforation on the shoes which blocks them from being moved.

I'll try to post actual photo of the pads later today. Thank you

Attachments

• Screenshot 2019-09-25 at 15.57.24.jpg
    Screenshot 2019-09-25 at 15.57.24.jpg
    35.8 KB · Views: 737
From what I recall they have no locking mechanism. However the fit is not a light one like modern pads - you have to hammer them out and hammer in the new ones.

Re:

Thanks for the link to the post, I will check this out. Meanwhile, these are my shoes. Not sure if they're original, no marks on them. This perforated thingies is what I think holds pads in. It's kinda one-way hook-shape facing opposite open end of the shoe. I can move pads a bit just with my fingers, up until the point when they're rest up against those things.

Also, pads are longer version with 7 "dots"

Attachments

• IMG_3052.JPG
    IMG_3052.JPG
    69.6 KB · Views: 706
  • IMG_3054.JPG
    IMG_3054.JPG
    69.5 KB · Views: 706
Re:

Ah yes I see what you mean. They do have an open end, so theoretically you can do just what Peachy did.
I say theoretically because I remember back in the seventies my local Halfords had a shopping basket full of these- shoe/pad/nut 'n' bolt all assembled. That was their 'display'.. no individually blister-packed pairs of brake shoes/pads back then! I really can't remember if they were also marketed as replacement pads alone, but I don't think those 'prongs' project far into the rubber.. If you remove the old pads you'll find out. The pads should be a tight fit regardless of those prongs. I guess they are an insurance against people mounting their brake shoes back to front..
once you've got the old pads out you can probably punch 'em flat on an anvil-esque surface and punch 'em back again once you've got the new pads in.

You could push a thin flat screwdriver down the back and twist or lever it out. Or get a sharp knife and cut it up. They used to slide out with a bit of pressure, but that was 60 years ago.
Keith

My ears were burning..... :D although mine didn’t have the catch, they stil didn’t want to be pushed out, so yes, a slim screw driver up the back soon has them out easily enough, then either a vice or a G-clamp will push them back in.

Salmon coloured 4 spot Mafac repro’s from Koolstop arrived today, beautiful.
Quick guide to swapping them out if anyone out there is interested;

1. Hold the old pads in a vice and gently ease off the aluminium holder with a small screwdriver.

2. Next push the new pad into the holder, this might only go in a few mm.
3. Whilst supporting both the pad and holder between thumb & forefinger, slowly & carefully close up your vice.

4. Easy peasy! :cool:

Attachments

• 6355EE67-DADA-47E9-B71B-801E39439149.jpeg
    6355EE67-DADA-47E9-B71B-801E39439149.jpeg
    136.6 KB · Views: 687
  • B1088617-9B0A-45FA-B723-D33E32CE32A4.jpeg
    B1088617-9B0A-45FA-B723-D33E32CE32A4.jpeg
    172.7 KB · Views: 687
  • 8492DCB0-6F09-45C8-AA74-C5C23DDF39AC.jpeg
    8492DCB0-6F09-45C8-AA74-C5C23DDF39AC.jpeg
    152.9 KB · Views: 688
True 70's approach :) use pliers to keep the blocks in the holders with right hand while turning the vice handle with the left, :)

Midlife":o8gu3q14 said:
True 70's approach :) use pliers to keep the blocks in the holders with right hand while turning the vice handle with the left, :)

I tried that, but it didn’t work for me... I needed to hold the blocks with my left and tighten the vice with my right..... :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

Back