Shimano 105 1050 brake caliper replacement brake pad question

sawston_vulcan

Senior Retro Guru
Feedback
View
When I was young. I really wanted a Condor Baracchi lugless frame...now I have got one...but it requires a 55mm drop....so a bit limited as to suitable calipers.

I have chosen Shimano single pivot 105 1050 is possibly the best of the bunch...but I would want modern brake pads....only I don't know which Kool Stop pads are most suitable, ie will fit the caliper slot etc???

Any advice would be appreciated.

can you post a pic? I don't think the 105's ever had cartridge type pads and holders, they were just an all in one type. So if yours do, then they are probably not original and will most likely be shimano pad fitting. If that is the case, then which ever type of pad you like will work, so long as it is for shimano road type calipers

Hi Foz ...I haven't received them yet but they have as you say an all in one type in black.

On my current bike, with 105 1056 DP brake calipers...it has similar brake shoes....I tried to fit Swissstop (Shimano fit) shoes/pads but they were too wide for the slots. I don't want that to happen again.

Ok, I think I misunderstood your question then! In that case, I think any standard Shimano type road caliper pad should fit? I seem to remember the bolts on campag brakes are a little wider, that might be older ones though, I can't remember 100%... I have some jagwire holders with removable pads in older calipers and they fit fine. Definitely a good idea to get that type though, replacing pads is much easier than the whole shoe

These Shimano 1050 brakes are great. You have chosen well! Lightweight, smooth & powerful, possible to have a firm feeling brake with the blocks not set close to the rim and also possible to easily adjust so the brake arms are the same distance from the rim both sides, the brake will hold this position irrespective of block wear so no pad adjustment required to compensate for wear, unlike a DPB. My blocks & holders are, IIRC, Jagwire (pictured).
105.JPG

Back