How to buy safely

ClawHammer1

Dirt Disciple
I’ve found a bike I want through FaceBook Marketplace. It’s a 5 hour round trip to pick it up so I’m going to arrange a courier to collect it. What’s the safest way, for myself and the seller, to achieve this. I don’t want to pay until the courier collects and the seller won’t want to give the bike to a courier until he’s been paid. I can’t work out the best way to do this.

Money involved isn’t huge sums. Bike is around £120.

Thanks for any help/advice.

I guess you could just PayPal him when the courier arrives. Seems a bit hard work though.

But I’m confused why you wouldn’t just pay prior using PayPal and await delivery. If it doesn’t arrive submit a claim. Like any other transaction you would make.

Is there a reason you don’t trust the seller?

I guess you could just PayPal him when the courier arrives. Seems a bit hard work though.

But I’m confused why you wouldn’t just pay prior using PayPal and await delivery. If it doesn’t arrive submit a claim. Like any other transaction you would make.

Is there a reason you don’t trust the seller?
Thanks for reply. I use PayPal all the time to buy from well known companies. I’ve never used it to buy from a person. I didn’t realise there was any come back person to person but I’ll look into that now.

I agree it seems like effort for a very cheap bike but it’s the very first mtb I had back in 1991 and, apart from the rear mech and tyres, it’s all original and working. The frame is also too large for me but I figured I’d be able to swap this with somebody or find a smaller frame in the future.

Having this bike would mean I have all the mtb’s I’ve ever owned. There weren’t many as I had to make them last, lol, but it completes ‘the set’. I guess I could wait and hope another comes up closer to home and in the right size but as I’m new to this scene i don’t know how likely that is. I doubt it’s a very popular bike with retro enthusiasts.

I didn’t mean hard work in terms of sourcing the bike. Just hard work in terms of payment method (or maybe overthinking)

Use PayPal goods and cover the fees for the seller. Problem solved.

Or ask on here if there is a member local who could collect it maybe.

Is it worth ripping someone off for £120 in an elaborate scam? There is far easier ways.

If you are nervous, just contact them for proof of address, and a email from their work address etc.

Back