How should I get a motorbike licence?

Agreed. Bring your knowledge up to date. What's a couple of hundred quid spent on training really worth?

Riding a 50cc on modern roads is very different to 35-40 years ago.
Yes, I’ve been mulling on this: I rode mopeds, 100s and 125s in all sorts of places and conditions when young, but the thought of taking an old 125 on the bypass, today, in the rain … is challenging.

Confidence Is a huge factor. Maturity and wisdom aren't often acquainted with youth.

Do what feels right for you

Agreed. Bring your knowledge up to date. What's a couple of hundred quid spent on training really worth?

Riding a 50cc on modern roads is very different to 35-40 years ago.
Here I think a motorcycle endorsement on your drivers license is nothing more than a way for the state to make money. The test is a joke. Starting in the 1990s you suddenly needed a state license to do anything, did’t matter your experience or training. Bartender, painter hairdresser. Gotta be renewed every few years for a price plus you need continuing education, which you pay for from an education company. I kept my continuing education papers in the smallest room in the house. I worked on it only when I had to be in there. I’d read for awhile, peak at the test and fill out the test when I found the answer. After I finished the test the education booklet ended out behind me. Until 1970 you didn’t need a cycle endorsement. I got mine then and still have it on my license, no new training required since then. I just pay for it with license renewal. Fifty two years later, do I need an update? You’d think a cycle update would be more important than reminding a hairdresser how to use a comb.

Last edited:
Im old enough to have just got on a bike on my 16th birthday.....which i did...think the licence cost £5...

We were frankly bloody dangerous on the road, we all had buggered around on fields or riding 550s on the seafront...( ooops).. but we all thought we were barry sheene!

Our road knowledge came from riding bikes! Nobody got killed, but it was really really close several times!🤣

Ive got to say I think the cbt / training route is a much better option. I also agree that training in the worst case scenario is better.....we got away with "stupid" because we could ride bikes in a mud pit and knew the limits and what a bike would do if you pushed it to far.

But, there's also a place for experience.....and that can only be gained in the saddle...sadly driving a car counts for nothing much in those stakes imho. In fact i feel every car driver should have to ride a bike first....or have a spike fitted to the steering wheel...its much the same when things go tits up.

Buy the bike you want post cbt etc, but why not ride it round a track to find out what its going to do, before jumping on.?

Is there not a part of the world were you can buy one or offered one for Xmas and then get it converted to a UK one?

If you are a MTBer you will feel at home on a dual sport.
I just got one (Honda XR650l), its a blast!
Getting a permit is easy here in my state (US) if you are already liscenced for autos.
Just need to take the road test...prior to that your auto liscence serves as a learners permit.

Attachments

• 2022 XR650L 2.jpg
    2022 XR650L 2.jpg
    910.3 KB · Views: 10
If you passed your car test before 1st February 2001 you can ride a 50cc moped as stated above. After this date you need a CBT

CBT lasts two years

Generally used 125's hold their value well so you are likely to get most, if not all, of your money back if you decide to move it on.
The CBT lasting two years is the thing that seems strange to me.

You undertake the training, get given the certificate, and are therefore free to ride a 125 around without any further training or a license, at any time of day/night/year - but only for 2 years, after which you need to do the same again if you aren't looking for any further progression.
I can't see why you couldn't have a license limiting you to a 125 - without having to go through the full A1 and A2 courses which just cover all the aspects you have likely been doing on a 125 over the past two years?

My cousin has been riding a 125 for all of her biking life (probably 15years or so), no intention of getting anything bigger, 125 works perfectly for her commute, but still had to undertake the full test procedure just to stop re-doing CBTs, and to ditch the L's.

As for learning in the winter, I'm doing it, it's lovely 😐🌦️

The CBT lasting two years is the thing that seems strange to me.

You undertake the training, get given the certificate, and are therefore free to ride a 125 around without any further training or a license, at any time of day/night/year - but only for 2 years, after which you need to do the same again if you aren't looking for any further progression.
I can't see why you couldn't have a license limiting you to a 125 - without having to go through the full A1 and A2 courses which just cover all the aspects you have likely been doing on a 125 over the past two years?

My cousin has been riding a 125 for all of her biking life (probably 15years or so), no intention of getting anything bigger, 125 works perfectly for her commute, but still had to undertake the full test procedure just to stop re-doing CBTs, and to ditch the L's.

As for learning in the winter, I'm doing it, it's lovely 😐🌦️

Simillar thoughts on A1: it seems very restrictive: <11kw, power to weight restriction, and 125cc. would be nice to have a category where you take a test and can ride smaller bikes over 125cc but not too powerful.

Back