How should I get a motorbike licence?

doctor-bond

Feature Bike
I’ve always fancied a 70s or 80s MX/enduro bike - say a DT 175; what’s the best way to get a licence for an old fool? Googling the various options is tediously baffling - A1, A2, CBT, cc, Kw ….

is it possible for a long time driving-licence holder to run an old, low-power bike with minimal training/testing, or better to go the whole hog and get a big bike licence?

Gratuitous, er, motorbike pic to illustrate:

7D74390C-2892-4755-9CF6-4C7909BC6E52.jpeg

I was an instructor and ATB (bike school) owner between 2004 and 2014. I taught: CBT, A1, A2, DAS for category A, ERS - DVSA post test / advanced riding, IAM, Rospa, and occasionally on trackdays at Snetterton, Brands and Silverstone.

In 2014 I turned to the dark side and became a DVSA Examiner - meaning i went from poacher to gamekeeper. I changed career in August 22 and completely moved away from the motorcycle industry, after being a professional motorcyclist in one way or another since the mid-90's, but I think most of my knowledge is still relevant.

In the UK: The process is the same for all of the full licences.

If you want to 'dip your toe' get yourself a CBT and razz around on a 125cc for a few months and see if you get on with it. It will be your cheapest option...but make sure you ride. Make excuses to go for a ride, not excuses why you can't!

Without splitting hairs, obtaining a full licence will be a similar cost no matter which category you take, unless you provide your own bike. In which case it's makes more financial sense to go straight in and do DAS (big bike) - if you can handle the weight and size of the bike. After you pass you can ride whatever you want.

If you want to understand a bit more about the process of getting a licence then below is a repost of something I put on the 'Show us your motorbike ' thread a few months back.
There are three tests and a CBT.

The process is the same for all 3 licence categories: A1, A2 and A.

The venue is the important factor:

At a Training School, ATB, Bike School, etc: it's training.

At a Driving or Theory Test Centre it's a test.

To obtain a UK licence you need:

A CBT - which is Compulsory Basic Training. Often mistakenly called a CBT Test. It's NOT a test. It's a training course normally completed in a day, but can take longer if the required standard of riding is not reached. A certificate is issued on completion by a DVSA approved Instructor at an Approved Training Body. A CBT is valid for two years, after which it will need to be taken again if all three of the following tests are not completed successfully. The CBT can be renewed if it expires during the rest of the rider's development and has a separate 'life' to the other documents.

Theory Test: Taken at a Theory Test Centre. Computer based combination of multiple choice questions and Hazard Perception CGI video clips. Some might argue there are two tests - Theory and Hazard Perception - but they can't be taken separately, so it's a two part single event test. There is a target score that must be achieved for both parts to pass. You may be required to complete a theory test prior to CBT if you are only in possession of a provisional licence. On passing the theory test you will then be allowed two years to complete the following two tests.

Module One Test: a machine control assessment conducted by a DVSA Examiner on a Motorcycle Manoeuvring Area (MMA) at a Multi-purpose Driving Test Centre. Successful completion of this test allows the candidate to progress to the final test. The life of the Module One pass certificate is governed by the life of the Theory Test pass. They expire on the same day. Module Two must be completed before they expire otherwise the candidate has to resit both tests. CBT runs on its own timeline.

Module Two Test: essentially a combination of all three of the above.This test is conducted on the road with a DVSA Examiner following on a bike, or sometimes in a car, giving radio instructions. Again this will be conducted from a Driving Test Centre.

If you're a complete beginner it can be challenging / hard. Most likely to come unstuck through a lack of machine familiarity / control and / or poor Highway Code knowledge.

An experienced rider shouldn't find it particularly difficult. Control is not normally a problem but Highway Code knowledge often is.

Most riders mistake experience for the time documents are held. E.g. 'I've had my CBT for 6 months'. This statement is meaningless. As is: ' I've got lots of experience as a pillion'.

Hours riding / miles ridden = experience. Nothing else. Variety is key. Repeating the same monotonous short journey doesn't count.

Sitting on the back of a bike ridden by someone else gives you no more experience than being a passenger on a plane gives you experience of flying it.

The cheapest resource available is the one thing that 99% of candidates will avoid and most likely will fail for - The Highway Code* - and yet they'll complain how expensive it is to take another test.

* As an app the Highway Code is free and yet so many feel they don't need it: 'but I've done my theory....'.

Quora post over...
If there's anything else you want to know just ask.

The best advice is that which you don't take!

Last edited:
That’s really helpful, thanks. Looks like the best thing is to CBT & 125 and take it from there. BITD the RD or DT 125 LCs were weapons of choice, although RXS100s used to go well. I fancy something a bit older and twinish : step 1:

9EF480C1-476A-4D2A-8C05-E19F5604F37C.jpeg

step 2?

8FECDE2D-F156-42BB-845E-617597C6B236.jpeg

Leave the vintage till you've got your license. You will drop it at least once, better to bash an sr125 than an rd.
CBT for a couple of months direct access. Once you've got you A you have the choice of whatever rather than limiting yourself. Bit like getting an auto license and preventing you doing a manual.

Wait till late Feb before you bother, learning to ride now is zero fun, once you've got the hang of it you can ride when you want, but hitting a patch of wet leaves without experience of how to react is never nice. Ask my sis you put here nice shiney zzr into a tree, followed by my daft c50 (what, it cost 50 quid and was a hoot). Its why she never got near my bigger bikes.

Last edited:
Leave the vintage till you've got your license. You will drop it at least once, better to bash an sr125 than an rd.
CBT for a couple of months direct access. Once you've got you a1 you have the choice of whatever rather than limiting yourself. Bit like getting an auto license and preventing you doing a manual.

Wait till late Feb before you bother, learning to ride now is zero fun, once you've got the hang of it you can ride when you want, but hitting a patch of wet leaves without experience of how to react is never nice. Ask my sis you put here nice shiney zzr into a tree, followed by my daft c50 (what, it cost 50 quid and was a hoot). Its why she never got near my bigger bikes.
Sorry think you might have made a typo - A1 is 125cc only. A allows you to ride any bike...

Last edited:
Yer I did. Fat fingers, small phone. Sorry. Stand by the rest though, now is not the time the learn.
I don't agree, but you're entitled to your opinion.

An instructor can teach you more about adapting your control and expanding your knowledge for inclement weather and surface hazards when they occur rather than out of season.

Statistically a rider who learns during favourable weather is more likely to get into difficulties when encountering unfamiliar conditions than one who learned in less favourable weather: say, for instance, going for a ride on what starts out as a sunny autumn / winter's day and finding their skillset coming up short if the weather changes, or seasonal hazards don't form part of their riding plan due to lack of knowledge / awareness.

The pass rate for test is proportionately higher during the 'off-season ' (September to March), although overall numbers are lower, as the riders presented for test have often developed a broader range of riding skills - out of necessity.

It's much safer to learn with expert guidance than 'the hard way'. Being as UK weather is infinitely changeable and often unpredictable it makes sense to learn during the off-season, but it's a personal preference. Personally I think it's a mistake to implement limitations to learning opportunities at the beginning of a riding career, unless the rider really struggles with machine control.

If your sister learned during the spring / summer months and then binned her ZZR during autumn / winter due to lack of experience it backs up the point I'm making.

Last edited:
If you're old and have had a full car license for donkeys years, can't you just get a 125 and ride it? Like in the good old days.

I didn't say don't do your test now, I said don't do you CBT and jump on a 125 now.

Ride for 6 months then do your DAS. you have gained experience in a "safer" environment then get taught the skills as we enter early autumn for riding in harsh condtions. I agree that a good instructor will provide more skills than riding for yourself, what they can't do is teach you how to react, that comes from experience and muscle memory and it can not be taught. Training is not the same as competence, any ROSPA rider or instructor will state the same.

So yes, I am entitled to my opinion, as are you.

Latest posts

Back