How 'retro' is your 'proper' bike?

Currently own three bikes (some more 'modern' than others...) - not sure how suspension comes into it as being a mark of non-retro, more a personal choice of what suits your riding and terrain. Personally, having had rigid bikes, FS and hardtails over the years I always go back to rigid - it's what I grew up with and what works for me. As is singlespeeding - so my most modern bike and the one I ride 99% of the time has a front disc (a 'retro' M755!), XTR V, Easton Carbon risers, Campag cranks, 959's Mavic Crossrides etc. Just what works, is dependable and good value - with a little 'individuality' thrown in. One thing I would never shun is modern rubber, a Thomson stem and ODI Ruffians...

Compared to the Swiss Army Bike though the '91 Orange and '98 Chameleon are state of the art! :LOL:

3bikes.jpg

'bout the oldest part on my modern bike are the Hope C2 brakes - still the original black ones and never needed more than an occasional bleed.

My newest bike frame is a 2007 Dahon Matrix folding mtb critter. I will be building it up with as many retro bits as I can muster such as a Exage 400LX chainset, Deore 7-8spd thumbies, old mechs etc. It will be a delightful fusion of old and new, although I'll have to convince myself it can be ridden off road, hinges do not always inspire confidence.

I like tried and tested old school kit which is often mechanically simpler than modern stuff.

I also have a question, what 1990's disc brakes exist with the 6 bolt international standard rotor mount and internation standard 2 tab brake mount. Probably stick with some early 2000's shimano cable discs if interesting stuff too expensive.

maybe I should rephrase the question to: How 'modern' is your 'proper' bike?

I guess the reason I was curious is cos I have always had a little Salsa or a Mint Sauce sticker on my bikes since they were 'current' as it just kinda reminds me of when I was young, and MTB'ing was infinitely more important to me than things like mortgages and bills... and, you know, no ones managed to make a better set of QR levers than the Salsa (yes, DKG) ones yet.

So all your bikes are a state of mind Wu?

I put 7700 Dura-ace barcons - Paul thumbies, Sachs Quarz (silver) rear mech on my Pace RC303 XCAM when I built it up last spring.

When 770 XT came out in autumn, the retro bits got pulled off and I'm glad I did.

Same with my Kuota - really wanted to run a Mavic front mech on it but it sucked and had to go.

But I run tried and tested Thomson seatposts on both bikes...

Retro is not always right.....

The retro thing never lest me really even in 2003 when I got my Identiti Dr Jekyll, it reminded me of old BMX's; Gussets, handle bars with cross bars, retro looking forks, and fat knobbly tyres.
However both my dr Jekylls remained Standard till recent and no retro additions yet. It will be getting sold but don't know how retro my new enn will be, I am drawn to Charge Dusters and re releases like the prestige but not for me i think.

Turns out my Santa Cruz build is a 2002 frame which is a bit old now regardless of modern trend, it hasn't got a replaceable mech hanger , and has canti boss bosses for goodness sakes!

Answer is not very yet. i can see a few oddments maybe in the future on teh bikes but theres more chance of me buildinga retro XCer with a few new bits TBH :D

the parts that i would consider retro on my "current" ride are red Onza CWAs and a Selle Italia Flite Transalp. guess they are both mid 90ees. both are on there for esthetic reasons :D

Back