How many bikes/components have you broken then?

On my first race with my new Funk BITD, RS1, Campag, White Porcs, Mavics, etc I was running in the top ten at the time and had to go wide round a left hand bend in the woods due to my speed and as I went through a pile of leaves hit an small tree stump. The back wheel immediately locked up. I had bent and twisted the Centaur rear mech, ripped it out the frame stripping the thread, bent the drop out, twisted the Rohloff chain 90 degrees and snapped it and buckled the wheel to the point of it locking against the frame. Man was I gutted, I couldn't believe it. I had spent so much time working, saving and building this bike and this was pretty much it's first outing and I had never damaged anything like this before.

So I picked it and ran the rest of the race best I could fighting off the disappointment and tears! Finished nearly fortieth in the end.

I still have it and I do hope in this case history won't repeat itself!

My Funk build is here.

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=165771

My first ever 'proper' bike was a steel GT Talera, must have been about 92/93. Anyway I somehow managed to crack the top tube clean through all the way round just behind the headtube. The rest of the frame somehow held together fine as I didn't notice until a mate pointed it out. No idea how long I'd been riding it broken..!

As a kid I had an old red Destroyer Bmx which I managed to crack the Mag wheels on.
Next was a cromo Diamond Back Viper (about 1983ish) which I cracked the headtube support where the diamond was cut.
Nothing for year until I bought a crappy road bike to try my hand at losing a few pounds. Managed to bend the rear hanger as I was riding up a hill. Straightened it out and gave the bike to my brotherin law.
Last one was 2 years ago when I was just coming down to the car park at Llandegla on my Zaskar. Went over a really small bump (1 or 2 inches high) at about 25-30mph. The dropouts on the Judy XC's failed in a big way forcing the forks into the front wheel. A triple somersault and 6 stitches ensued as well as bending my xlite bar ends when they were forced into my lower stomach. I think the dropouts had fatigued over time and the fact that a 15 stone heavyweight had just hammered it around again.
Amazingly the front wheel was fine apart from a little truing and I've fitted new lowers to the forks.

Cracked an ally frame, bent my Shocktech forks, destroyed a campag stheno rim, bent club roost bars and killed my flite ti, all in one crash! I ended up in hospital getting stitched up but all I could think about was my bike.
Other than chains and the odd wheel I havent really broken anything since.

fat chance titanium cracked at the bottom bracket to seattube weld.
cook bros RSR cranks, tapers made of cheese
pace rc130 bar, cracked
answer hyperlite bar, bent
bontrager 118 ti bar, bent
suntour xc pro headset, cup sheared
control tech stem, cracked.
klein fervor, seattube cracked at top
klein attitude, seattube cracked at bottom
pace rc36 proclass, stanchions wore out in 6weeks
nuke proof hubs, 1st pair the flanges cracked, 2nd pair the flange fell off the carbon
tioga disc drive, kevlar cord snapped
pace chainring, cracked going uphill on 1st ride.
syncros titanium seatpost, head snapped off
bontrager carbon seatpost, head came . recalled under warranty
ringle mobypost, cracked. admittadly took 5yrs.
american classic seatpost, cracked
white industries rear hub, freehub exploded
odyssy quick releases, lever snapped off
specialized stumpjumper comp , bent rear triangle. (my fault, big crash)
shimano deore xt M730,2,5 rear mechs x many. (my fault, riding hard)
onza oz barends (my fault, big crash)
ritchey wcs z max. ripped big hole after 15mins use going down full moon DH
mavic 230 rim, eyelets pulled out
king titanium bottle cage x 2, wore through the tubing after many years use.

pretty sure theres more that i've forgotton about..luckily modern mountain bike components & frames are now designed for intended use :cool:

i've broke no less than 20 frames , 5 or 6 sets of forks , my best was i managed to land a huge jump on my san andreas and bent the 20mm axle on my stratos superstar eights :oops:

tbh i just break everything i touch

Done a few bits over the years :oops:

Cracked a seatstay on a Ridgeback 704XT
Bent a seatpost on a 1991 Pine Mountain (sorry bro!)
Sheared an XT rear mech
Snapped a pair of Carbon Fibre Bars taking a jump straight into a felled tree, ouch! :LOL:

Wytze":3twaky6f said:
Pics or it didn't happen ;)

No photos but I have pictures of the replacements. Both Race Face turbines snapped, the first was drive side and I waited for a replacement, second time I took a non-matching one off the shelf of the LBS.

Also on the dead list.

Cracked Orange aero
Bent Spinner Marin forks
Rock Shox Psylos dead playing with lockout in the office
Bent M950 cassette
Lots of seat rails (then discovered Flite)
Many chains

I'm sure there's more,

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    55.6 KB · Views: 108
Back