how many australian rerto bikers are there

cannondale king":3nz71o1y said:
plan gone wrong m now gona be staying we sorted t out late last night and im now stayng my sister ain't happy as she thught i was gonna join her over there hame i was getting to like the thought of a nice new life :oops: :cry: :D :D

Just be a man and make the move - you said yourself that she's not right for you... ;)

ashes_mtb, did you purchase your GT frame from someone in Sydney a few months ago? If so, I was an underbidder on that one.

Regards, Mark.

Mark S":1eqq94kt said:
ashes_mtb, did you purchase your GT frame from someone in Sydney a few months ago? If so, I was an underbidder on that one.

Regards, Mark.

I thought it was Melbourne, but could've been Sydney. East coast somewhere anyway...

Sorry if it was the one, I spotted it with an hour to go and thought it was pretty cheap ($250 - have seen em go for many times that before) so threw a slightly higher bid in not expecting to win it.... I had intended to on sell it for a profit with a better description but my wife convinced me to build it.

No, good luck to you. I put in a bid, but then hoped that I didn't win as I decided I didn't like the "chroming" on the joins. But I was "mad" for an old GT and my judgement was clouded.

A couple of weeks later, a '97 LTS DH popped up on eBay in Melbourne (where I am) and I was successful. Still going through the rebuild, but regularly just sit there on the weekends polishing the ball-burnished frame.

But you did get a bargain, the local "LTS expert" in Melbourne was astounded when I mentioned it - he would have paid at least $500 for one.

Post some pictures when you're finished, I'd love to see it. I will do the same, although I am not building a true retro, I am converting to 9 speed and running it as 1x9.

Regards, Mark.

Kind of off the subject but it has to do with kangaroos, so close enough, huh :). I was in your fine country for seven months in 2000 and picked up a postcard of a 'roo riding a mtb, helmet and all. I was told that it was part of an ad campaign for a manufacturer a few years previous.

I've been looking for a picture of that bike riding 'roo ever since. Does anyone have a copy they could scan in for me?

I didn't do a lot of riding when I was there, more hiking but next time I'm there, I think I'll do some touring.

Pinguwin

Hey Mark,

The mix of carbon fibre and aluminium is actually what appeals to me about them! I didn't realise how popular they are, had a few good offers for the frame already, although there's no way I'll part within it...

I'm doing a modern build of mine too. Had originally intended to do a retro build with original Z1's etc, but I reckon the STS's were a bit ahead of their time and a complete new build would do it justice. Have managed to keep the whole lot under $1500 so it compares favourably to the complete new bike option.

Just out of curiosity, how much did you get the LTS DH for (if you don't mind me asking)? You should check out www.betd.co.uk They make a replacement bearing set which makes a huge difference to the function of the rear suspension and also sell replacement shocks if you ever blow yours (annoying thing about the STS/LTS bikes is they rely on a specific shock mount).

I reckon the 1x9 is a good move, the LTS DH wasn't really intended for a triple crankset so the single chainring will be more in keeping with its downhill origins!! Is that what you'll be using it for?

Ashes

To the previous poster - I vaguely recall that ad but can't remember who or what is was for. Sorry.

To Ashes - IIRC I paid $425 for the bike. Well used, but no damage. It still had the original crankset (I believe), but with only two chainrings on it, although the owner was running it as 1x7 with an AC chainguard type thing. I have converted the crankset to one chainring (with those "BMX" bolts), but will eventually purchase a singlespeed crankset. I have slowly being purchasing SRAM stuff (X-0 and X-9) for the gearing.

No, I'm not a downhiller. I have just started taking my young son mountain biking in the hills around Melbourne, but we are very much beginners.

I'm only a commuter, but a regular one. It's bike track all the way for me from home to work, but I just don't like road or hybrid bikes. I'm not obsessed with speed, and actually figure that I'm getting more exercise on an MTB with fat tyres. I had already converted my Outpost to 1x8 and never missed the extra gears.

BTW, why is the ATX such a collectable these days? It sort of looks better than other hardtails, but I just can't figure out why.

Nice talking to you.

Regards, Mark.

Sounds like bargain. Complete bikes seem to be the way to go in terms of value for money!

I contemplated going 1x9 on the STS as well. With a 32 front and 11-34 rear, you can get a good enough spread to cope with most of terrain (at least where I ride anyway). Only drama is when switching between road and trails - the ideal gear spread for road is too high for the riding I do. I went for the triple chainrings in the end but would definately switch to 1 if it was going to be used solely for mtbing.

Are you referring to my ATX? Its actually a full suspension bike, the ATX came in hard tail and full suspension. I didn't think they were in any way collectable - they were great value for money BITD but not an "aspirational" ride like STS and other's bikes on here.

OK, maybe they're not "aspirational" (nice term that), but they do seem to go for "solid" prices on eBay. There is something about them, which I can't quite pick.

Regards, Mark.

Back