How long is too long (before asking for refund)?

drcarlos

Retrobike Rider
Gold Trader
Feedback
View
I purchased something privately a couple of weeks ago (14 days today) and the seller was a little slow in dispatching there were a couple of reasons. They finally posted and sent me a tracking number which contained the wrong postcode and to cut a long story short the item is now back with them and to my knowledge hasn't been resent. The seller hasn't picked up messages for the past couple of days and is new to the forum. The whole experience has left a bitter taste and I am just thinking I should cut my loses, I have asked to cancel the transaction and a refund. I have made inquiries about alternatives. Is 2 weeks a bit premature and am I being a bit picky? I was thinking that if I'd had no contact be the end of today I'd submit a PP claim and purchase elsewhere or is that too soon?
What say the wise forumites?

Carl.

How long since contact?

I would send a message saying if not heard re solution after 72 hours sticking claim in. Everybody knows the score at that point.

An Ebay purchase? Don't muck about; open a case NOW! You have a limited time to open one and at first it's just you sending a message to the seller. If they don't reply within a certain time you automatically win the case and are refunded.
If you continue messaging them outside of EBay your opportunity to do anything will pass.

EDIT, just noticed it was on this forum; open a paypal case. it's much the same sort of palaver I think.

Couple of days, seller advised me that the items were back with them and they were going to re-book to resend (on the same courier who botched everything up badly, which I wasn't happy about), they haven't logged on since so haven't seen my PM asking to cancel and a refund.
Don't see the point in sending another PM if they aren't going to log in to pick them up. In these days there isn't much excuse, I read PM's and messages on my phone, tablet or PC during the day when I get alerted my email.

Carl.

suburbanreuben":2u8ebhrq said:
An Ebay purchase? Don't muck about; open a case NOW! You have a limited time to open one and at first it's just you sending a message to the seller. If they don't reply within a certain time you automatically win the case and are refunded.
If you continue messaging them outside of EBay your opportunity to do anything will pass.

It's not otherwise I would have, it's a private transaction on a forum. I used Paypal goods and covered the fees myself so have cover.

Carl.

drcarlos":229ilfeh said:
suburbanreuben":229ilfeh said:

It's not otherwise I would have, it's a private transaction on a forum. I used Paypal goods and covered the fees myself so have cover.

Carl.
Then open a paypal case. he's had plenty of time.

When you do open you case if you can show you gave notice etc they generally just pay up. Plus it would be reasonable to give a last chance to at least contact you. You get emailed if you get a pm so log on mot required to know message there?

60 days for a case iirc

The History Man":3m5v0eg3 said:
When you do open you case if you can show you gave notice etc they generally just pay up. Plus it would be reasonable to give a last chance to at least contact you. You get emailed if you get a pm so log on mot required to know message there?

60 days for a case iirc

I have a suspicion that the seller is not reading the PM's on purpose as in the last PM I sent that they read, I said I was unsure how to proceed with the transaction. I think they knew the request for refund was imminent.

It's 45 days by the way.

Carl.

!4 days is plenty of time! If you haven't already done so you will have a stronger case for any follow up if you give a 'final notice' stating what you intend to do and when. 24hrs would be reasonable to allow a reply at this stage.

Latest posts

Back