How do you remove a siezed up seat pin?

I had a carbon covered aluminium very thickwalled seatpost in an aluminium frame seized. I had to resort to the number 15 method: the old hacksaw blade trick. Man, it did cost me about 4 evening to get through that thing!!

Senri":2v04mk76 said:
I had a carbon covered aluminium very thickwalled seatpost in an aluminium frame seized. I had to resort to the number 15 method: the old hacksaw blade trick. Man, it did cost me about 4 evening to get through that thing!!

:shock:
Hope it doesn't come to that... I'm on the drench it in WD-40 stage at the moment ;)

If you get to the stage where you put the seat tube in an engineering vice and you and a mate turn the frame around it, you may risk your frame! It worked - just.

From having done this recently, there is one significant improvement I can offer on the standard tips.

If you get to the hacksaw blade stage, STOP, don't do it. Get a triangular cross section file and use that - it's a lot easier than trying to hold on to a hacksaw blade and allows you more control.

Rich

I agree with you, but it depends on the thicjness you have to through. I had the luck to have a special grip holder that has the blasde sticking out. If you really have to use the blade, remember to have the teeth reversed, opposed to how it is in the saw, certainly in the beginning.

Back