How difficult is it to find 1" ahead stuff for MTB....??

I'll have a 1 inch aheadset avaliable by the end of the week. and a stem... and some forks... although they are currently elastomer-less!

Re:

Thanks for all the help and offers guys. I'll see what happens once I get the frameset, I do have a habit of changing my mind.... :LOL:

Another option might be a headset adapter- I might have one of those too though not sure it's 1 inch or 1.1/8.

I picked up a cane creek forty (I think) aheadset for what I thought was a decent price. Got a second chance offer on some exotic carbon forks at a fairly good price too, both from ebay. 1 inch stems are out there, got a few if you are interested, I struggled to find any with a lot of rise though (building a bike for my wife who doesn't ride much and wants comfort). Ended up going with a steerer shim to use a 1 1/8 headset which seems to work fine.

Let me know if you need any 1 inch steerer spacers as I have tons in silver or black. More than happy to post some your way.

I've currently got some RC35 MXCDs for Mrs Rouleur's Orange P7. The mono box grown is sized for a 1 1/8" steerer, but I've got a shim to knock it down to the 1" steerer. Shims and steerer still available from Pace direct if you decide to go that route.

There are a few modern 1" threadless style headsets available too. Ritchey Logic and Cane Creek (who used to be Dia Comp, so know a thing or two about Aheadsets!) do decent ones at the £30-40 mark. FSA for a little more, and Chris King for the big bucks.

I bought a cheapo silver Genetic (or something) from SJS, but just 'cos I wanted something to match the nickel frame while I look for something period correct!

Re:

Thanks chaps for all the advice, help and offers, much appreciated.

This is going to be a slow burner whatever happens, because of work commitments (and at the moment, the fact it won't be here for another couple of weeks!) so I'll see how I feel about it once it's in front of me. I want to repaint somehow, or at least 'personalize' it, so again time isn't of the essence as that may have to wait until better weather.

I want to try and avoid shims and adapters if at all possible, but from all the answers it appears that should be doable - simple answer, no, it isn't difficult to find 1" ahead stuff! Especially when you're on a fab forum like this ;)

Re:

Last year I managed to get a brand new Ritchey Scuzzy Logic 1" headset for £9 posted which I though was a good buy. I suppose you would need to keep your eyes posted on the Sale items that the online bike company's have.

Back