Hope hubs - the visual difference

Roasted

Kona Fan
This is mainly for the wider internet for people searching for an answer to help identify their hubs, especially for early hubs with the a Hope sticker. I don't expect this to create a massive discussion, but maybe add to this for other early hubs that are hard to identity.

When I did a search, there wasn't really a definitive answer for the difference between Bulbs and XCs. I saw various answers on lots of forums like Bulbs are beefier, have more engagement on the freehub, bigger bearings, steeper 'slope' on the rear hub and a titanium freehub. Most of these answers require you to take the hub apart, are rear hub specific, have both hubs to compare or know what titanium looks like. And I think the XC had a titanium freehub option so not might not help with identification.

As I have both Bulbs and XC hubs, I think I can help with an easy way to identify your hub visually.

Hope Bulbs have a small lip next to each flange on the front or next to the flange and 'slope' on the rear, as can be seen in the photos below.
20240105_005639.JPG
20240105_005609.JPG

The Hope XC hubs don't have a lip and are smooth.
20240106_221340.JPG
20240106_221425.JPG

With later hubs, identification is easier as they are laser etched. Bulbs still have the lip, but have 'BL' at the end of the serial no. The XC hubs will have 'XC' instead.
20240106_234233.JPG

Back