home trainers, swift etc, talk to me!

ok so this is the one i was thinking of:-

according to the details at the bottom of the page it is compatible with loads of different apps and has different connections depending on the device you connect it to, i was thinking laptop in front of the bike. i was also thinking zwift for no other reason than it's the one that seems most popular or well known.

I use an Elite trainer and find it very good and solid. With my 1988 MF fixed to it. Doesn't take up to much space as i have to use it in the kitchen. The only other aid i have is a cycle computer to show speed and ride time. to ease the boredom i can view the TV with the door open. I tried the apps and other toys they sell. I bin them all as not needed.

We've got a Tacx Flow with an old Clockwork on it. Can't remember why we got the flow over the cheaper Boost - but knowing me I'll have agonised over it for months and done my research. We also got the Taxc rubber mat, which seems to stop vibrations and keep the noise down - and probably cost about four times what a bit of rubber should have done. It uses a smartphone via Bluetooth for different intervals etc - so we got a cheap handlebar mount - but you could use a tablet on a stand or nearby surface.

Like anything these days you can get paid for subscriptions for extra content - but if you're just going to jump on and bang out some intervals it seems fine.

Reading all the reviews, a lot say to buy a fan but for what we use it for it's fine - we're not doing roadie mega miles.

My advice would be to buy a cheap second hand one to see if you're going to use it. If it's not a fad, then move it on and buy a "proper" bit of kit - you'll likely make your money back on the second hand one.

I agree with @markoc Buy cheap and second hand to see if you like it - and also whether you are really interested in logging the miles etc. There are tons of lockdown trainers on FB marketplace now. Presumably all of those sellers thought it would become a regular thing too.

My turbo trainer is a cheapo one from Planet X with an old marin permanently attached to it. Probably gets used once or twice a week - and never for more than 40 mins or so. Just put a laptop on a box in front of it to catch up on some TV show. Don't need to log how many miles etc so don't bother with any of the sensors, zwift etc.

Weather seems bad now, but it'll likely improve in a month or two. The cost of some trainers would pay for a nice holiday in somewhere warmer and drier...

ok so it's minging crappy weather, i said i'd never do it but i think i'm gonna have to go down the indoor trainer route, now bear in mind i pretty much suck with technology.

so what do you guys think of the more advanced turbo trainers? linked to a computer with different rides etc, training platforms etc, is there one you use? any good? worth it? is it a paid subscription?

is there a particular trainer that is better? was thinking of one of the ones where the rear wheel is removed and you have a cassette on the trainer, they look quite good but i don't know much about them.

educate me please!:)
If I was buying again then I'd go for one of the ones where your bike mounts directly to it, and the cassette stays on the trainer.
I've used a basic smart trainer for a few years now, a Tacx Flow2240. Easy enough to connect it to Zwift, Trainerroad, etc and it'll give distance, speed, power etc.
But I've broken spokes in 2 rear wheels, not sure how, but it happened whilst on the trainer, and it can be a faff to check tyre pressure & calibrate it every week or so, to ensure it's fairly accurate. From my personal experience I'd buy a direct drive trainer next time .
I actually prefer Zwift over all the other Apps, but then I don't take my "trainer time" too seriously, sometimes I'll just spend an hour on the trainer, headphones in, just riding around and checking out the sights and routes whilst putting some miles on my legs. There are training programs if you fancy a challenge, and literally hundreds of races to enter each day, some of which can be quite fun to enter, and some of the organized "social" rides are interesting to ride around in a big bunch at a steady pace, the "Game" is always expanding and adding new routes too , so I find it keeps things interesting.

Good to hear that the new trainers along with all the apps and jazz are keeping people going.

I say this because I completely detest indoor cycling (and running for that matter) and no amount of tele or music keeps me from getting fed up after 20 minutes (I made half hour once). I used to use rollers which kept me amused but really just for the sake of keeping it tyre side down.

I have an aged Tacx air trainer with a squirrel cage fan on it, that along with a speed sensor is enough for the occasional use but I wouldn't want to use it all the time, it let me do a few miles when recovering from surgery last year but for the money of a new "smart" trainer I could buy a new winter bike sooooooo, buy cheap but good enough and try it for a year, it will or should at least sit dormant for summer so no use comparing that to next winter.

Good to hear that the new trainers along with all the apps and jazz are keeping people going.

I say this because I completely detest indoor cycling (and running for that matter) and no amount of tele or music keeps me from getting fed up after 20 minutes (I made half hour once). I used to use rollers which kept me amused but really just for the sake of keeping it tyre side down.

I have an aged Tacx air trainer with a squirrel cage fan on it, that along with a speed sensor is enough for the occasional use but I wouldn't want to use it all the time, it let me do a few miles when recovering from surgery last year but for the money of a new "smart" trainer I could buy a new winter bike sooooooo, buy cheap but good enough and try it for a year, it will or should at least sit dormant for summer so no use comparing that to next winter.
Much like me. Mrs CTEC bought me a Tacx for crimbo a few years back and I just don't dig it - after half a dozen goes it went back in the box and under the workbench. Fair play to those that use them, just didn't tug my rug is all.

The other issue is that while your legs and lungs get a stretch your bike control skills and road craft do not get similarly exercised - you can easily spot who has been in the garage pedalling all winter from the way they wobble appallingly all over their half of the road come the first rays of sunshine that spring brings forth. Seriously, you can actually see it. It is reckoned to have caused a few TdF incidents following lockdown as fit but painfully rusty riders set forth with significantly degraded control skills and spatial awareness.

Back