Holdsworth Frame Numbers

Re:

The nostalgia is there. Again, one of my dad’s, but it was also a graduation gift from my grandad. So that’s a tick.

I’ve always thought it would of been an expensive frame when original. So would expect similar to repair and refinish. Another one for the queue!

Re:

I’ve always thought it would of been an expensive frame when original. So would expect similar to repair and refinish.
As far as I am aware, it doesn't work like that. Theoretically the frame repairers would charge you the same price for putting two 531 (or whatever they are using instead these days) tubes into a front-ended gaspiper as they would to do the same to your beautiful Roberts..

dwscrimshaw said:
So far we do have 3 digit number in the early 70's 4D system, but the custom frames, Harding, DBS, Pollard & Stuart start the other side of 1800. We don't have many so it is possible this is part of that group, but would be early 70's.

Charlie Roberts certainly has a history at Holdsworth's and interestingly in 50's Holdsworth factory serials were placed on a rear dropout - something I often wonder if Roberts' doing as I believe he was foreman around that time.

However Kman's beautiful Roberts looks like has own serial method. He apparently had a passion for time trialing and shows in his builds. This frame uses his own simple sequential system (didn't go very high) and is likely from early 70's. When he built for the trade apparently he would use that particular brand's system and placement - the Putney shop being an example.

There is a bit of a serial registry on Classic Rendezvous that possibly people have seen. Apparently after he died in late 70's his son Chas persisted with same system until early 80's when first few digits were used to signify date of build. Torqueless and as he says Roadking has a lot more knowledge of Roberts.

http://www.classicrendezvous.com/Britis ... gistry.htm

Re:

Thank you for the kind words on the Roberts. It certainly one of the ones i have the fondest memories of riding. I was 'only' allow to use it from about 92, when the old man had then build a new Geoffrey Butler!

I always remember riding in 94 in the Pyrenees. It was still running campag nuovo record, bar end shifters but with Shimano 600 Tricolour brakes and levers. It was my main bike until 99, when it was damaged in an accident with another rider.

I will send the details over to the registry, while I enquire about the cost of a rebuild etc :shock:

Having a dig through the component box, the nuovo record in a 73 pat. So, it's possible that it was a 74 build.

I'll see what the registry brings up.

Re:

On the plus side, the resilient 531 forks are usually OK after a 531db gets front-ended. They might need a re-track. It seems it's always just behind the head lugs that the strain of the impact manifests.

Kman if you are looking for someone to repair the Roberts you could try Argos, Mercian, Bob Jackson, Dave Yates, Ellis Briggs or Chris Marshall. Those are the ones on my radar, most of whom were doing such work forty years back.

CBguy is flattering me :) I don't know much about Roberts at all, although if K75013R is indeed a shop Holdsworth built by Roberts.. well.. I've been riding it for thirty five years... and there is at least one other member of this forum who needs informing that his 'Stan Pike' could in fact be a shop Holdsworth built by Roberts too.

Re:

I might try some of them that are a bit more local. Obviously Geoff Roberts would be in mind as they is a good connection there.

The nearest one to me is Colourtech in Dartford. Does anyone have any experience using them. Price list seems reasonable.

Re:

Well, you might be better off starting your own thread, Kman, 'cos.. you know.. it's a fair bet that there are several members of this forum that have used a frame repairer/refinisher, but are not sufficiently interested in Holdsworth frame numbers to read this one?

Speaking for myself, the last time I needed a frame repair, twenty years back, I took it to Shorters in North London, because said frame had been decaled as a Shorter when I had bought it secondhand fifteen years before that, and I was hoping to find out whether or not it was indeed a Shorter.
I didn't find out.. but I got the frame repaired.. :)

Re:

Cheers Torqueless. I’ll setup a separate thread. Apologies if I’ve broken any forum etiquette!

Back