Holdsworth Frame Numbers

Hi all,

A bit of help if you can please?

Met a guy out on a local VCC ride at the weekend who had recently acquired a Lowes Water Holdsworth in very good original condition. It may be from the 80’s. Unfortunately no photos, bit it is in a dark semi-metallic blue with white decals, the seat stays are not wrapped over. Decals are in white with Holdsworth on the top tube, Lowes Water on the down tube and Shimano on the seat tube.

He believes that the stamped in frame number is; 0S70137172 but the sticker adjacent to it states that the frame is built to BS610211 and the printed frame number is OR 0285627

Can anyone shed any light on what this might be?

Thanks in anticipation

Gus

I personally have not heard of these before, but a quick google seems to suggest they are from the 80's and could well be after the Marlboro take over of Holdworth and post the traditional 6 digit frame numbers. After the 6 digit system ended the numbering is very odd with no obvious system. It could well be that these Lowes Water frame had their own numbering system. I hope other can help further with this.

Dave,

Attached photo of the frame, does it align to any particular model?

I’ll try and get some others from the owner

Thanks

Gus

Attachments

• 10B554FE-5FC5-43AC-8AA7-9FF56BDA89F3.jpeg
    10B554FE-5FC5-43AC-8AA7-9FF56BDA89F3.jpeg
    67.1 KB · Views: 383
Difficult to say from that picture, still thing this is post Malborogh take over. if that top tube is sloping down towards the seat tube and with the extend tube above the lug, that all looks more modern that the models in the Malborogh range. that crank set too looks very 80's/90's.

As DWS says, definitely post 'original' Holdsworth and also Marlboro's 1 year (very late 1985 - very early 1987) ownership of the brand.
So it's a "Holdsworth badged" Falcon and looks almost identical to the Claud Butler Professional (also made by Falcon) from 1994 although that used 7005 Aluminium not steel.
Do you know what material this is?
Could it be TIG welded Cr-mo steel? as that appeared around 1996 in the Claud range...

N.B. previously not discussed on here back in 2012.....
viewtopic.php?f=22&t=187828

Attachments

• IMG00439-20110901-1323.jpg
    IMG00439-20110901-1323.jpg
    186.6 KB · Views: 361
Re:

Hello All,

I've been reading this forum for a while and stumbled across it when trying to determine the origins of a couple of bikes in my collection.

I'm a bit of a newbie when it comes to the vintage stuff but have something that I'd like to find out a bit more about.

It was my late fathers and he purchased it new in about 1973 and rode it to some success in Cyclocross during that time.

I suspect it is a 1973 custom frame as the number is 3168 has all the braze on's for cross and is still wearing its original paint.

I have another in the collection to identify, which I'll post shortly.

Any help with this would be appreciated.

Kristian

Attachments

• IMG_2503.JPG
    IMG_2503.JPG
    73.6 KB · Views: 172
  • IMG_2504.JPG
    IMG_2504.JPG
    72.8 KB · Views: 172
  • IMG_2508.JPG
    IMG_2508.JPG
    52.2 KB · Views: 172
  • IMG_2510.JPG
    IMG_2510.JPG
    44 KB · Views: 172
Seems to be some logic to that assumption. The Competizion was listed with Cycle Cross option in that year and at first glance this could tie up. Lets see what other comments you get. I am interested to see the Colchester Cycles decals I see you are close to that area, might see out and about on it at some point.

Re:

I know Brian at Colchester Cycle Stores and dad used to race with him. He would of ordered through Brian, but he can’t recall.

I’m now looking at options as to what to do with it. Can’t decide whether to be true to its origins or do something to have the best of both worlds.

I have a couple of sets of Mafac cantilevers, brake levers, campy Nuevo Record derailleurs, bar end shifters plus GB bars and stems. But I could mix some 10 speed campag to make it more modern.

Back