Holdsworth Frame Numbers

My money is on a 1985 Cadet, nearly as good as any in the range that year, just came with lower end kit. still a well built frame by any standards.

Attachments

• Cadet85 - Copy.jpg
    Cadet85 - Copy.jpg
    110.4 KB · Views: 861
PeachyPM":3ps8e526 said:
My money is on a 1985 Cadet, nearly as good as any in the range that year, just came with lower end kit. still a well built frame by any standards.

Thanks Peachy. I considered the Cadet, but I think the colour's wrong (the Cadet's available only in Orange Pearl, and I'm waiting to see this bike in the flesh to assess its colour), the Cadet's frame's not 531 (from my reading of the catalogue) and the fork's missing the light-boss. But the equipment does appear to match the box'o'bits that's also being sent over ... edit: apart from the crank and rings, but those do get swapped over time ... edit2: hmm, looking back through the photos, I'm not sure the frame's 531 after all — at least, I can't see a sticker ... for £32 I'm not that disappointed, though.

s-l1600.jpg

wilkyboy":18rr5on3 said:
PeachyPM":18rr5on3 said:

Thanks Peachy. I considered the Cadet, but I think the colour's wrong (the Cadet's available only in Orange Pearl, and I'm waiting to see this bike in the flesh to assess its colour), the Cadet's frame's not 531 (from my reading of the catalogue) and the fork's missing the light-boss. But the equipment does appear to match the box'o'bits that's also being sent over ... edit: apart from the crank and rings, but those do get swapped over time ...

That colour in those photos is Orange Pearl, although you could be forgiven for calling it Bronze. The catalogue photos/printing are a poor reference I'm afraid.
I'd put my shirt on your frame being an Orange Pearl Cadet from the end of the Holdsworth days.

The Cadet had Truwel tubes but still had Reynolds forks, I can only see the 531 sticker on your forks not the frame?

The thing of interest is the lamp boss, but that could just be the result of Holdsworth using whatever they had around as the wolves were at the door mid '85.

PeachyPM":3imd4dhw said:
That colour in those photos is Orange Pearl, although you could be forgiven for calling it Bronze. The catalogue photos/printing are a poor reference I'm afraid. I'd put my shirt on your frame being an Orange Pearl Cadet from the end of the Holdsworth days.

No fear involved — it's all good — I'm grateful for your time and insight. At a mere £32 it was always a speculative purchase, mainly to play with a steel fixie over the winter, and this will become my new town bike, as we live a few miles out of the centre of Cambridge and a cheap, not-so-desirable bike is de rigeur for being able to ride home again after locking it up in town!!! DAMHIKT ...

There's still the light boss on the forks that's not quite right, although I haven't checked all the catalogues.

You've got more than £32 worth of hardware there! And a really comfortable frame...Bargain! :D

PeachyPM":9eqcplbm said:
You've got more than £32 worth of hardware there! And a really comfortable frame...Bargain! :D

Thanks, Peachy, that's good to know :)

Can't wait for it to arrive now — it was supposed to arrive today (so I could sneak it into the shed without Mrs W noticing), but now it's likely Monday (and she'll be home then, oops!).

PeachyPM":1klxjjea said:
wilkyboy":1klxjjea said:
That colour in those photos is Orange Pearl, although you could be forgiven for calling it Bronze. The catalogue photos/printing are a poor reference I'm afraid. I'd put my shirt on your frame being an Orange Pearl Cadet from the end of the Holdsworth days.

The Cadet had Truwel tubes but still had Reynolds forks, I can only see the 531 sticker on your forks not the frame?

The thing of interest is the lamp boss, but that could just be the result of Holdsworth using whatever they had around as the wolves were at the door mid '85.

I received it today — She noticed, I got into trouble ... aaaanyway ...

Yep, I think it's Orange too. Rusty Orange if I'm being picky — the photos didn't show up just how much rust is on this frame, not that that worries me, I just need to find out how to treat it.

And it came without a seat pin — any idea what the size would've been in 1984/5/6? The frame is actually a bit knocked about around the top of the seat tube, so it's tricky to get a decent measurement. I'd say 26mm, but it measures 26.5mm or so at the opening, except where it has been dinged on one side. EDIT -- Ah, I just found the detailed specs section of the catalogues — 26.4mm.

Re:

Can you help with this at all?
Frame is 806??3 unusually has internal cable routing on the top tube? I can’t see it from the frame number dating and catalogue.

Ps. It was originally black.

Thanks in advance

Attachments

• DF372C1F-31EF-4B75-B183-788396D76AAE.jpeg
    DF372C1F-31EF-4B75-B183-788396D76AAE.jpeg
    104 KB · Views: 651
Frame features and if serial accurate (6 digits beginning with number eight) suggest a post 1985 Holdsworth take over model. Probably a Falcon of which dwscrimshaw has some serials collected under "All Other Holdsworths..." . However serial number focus thus far has been on pre take over.

Rear brake cable routing is likely a clue - unless of course an add on. Perhaps someone with post take over knowledge or ownership of a similar model will comment.

Back