Holdsworth Frame Numbers

When we started using Campagnolo in the mid 50s we soon found that the clip on gear levers and cable guides easily dented the tubes. So a small brazed on bit not only stopped the gear lever slipping down, but saved denting the tubes.

Keith

And the down tube braze on bits for bar end shifters are often present (shown in catalog) as on my 68 Claud Butler Super Torino / Super Mistral clone. Another apparent option.

Doug

33ll2s8.jpg

If you look really carefully you can see the brazed on "spike" on my 1969 ish TT frame which is probably to hold in place a clip for a bar end shifter arrangement.

Re:

Most builders put the gear-lever band-stop at bottom-centre of the circumference of the down-tube. They can be various shapes- triangular, square... I guess that little circular stop, offset to drive-side, is another useful identifying feature of frames from the Holdsworth factory? My 'Special' from '81-2 has exactly the same.
No, RSW, nothing has been cut off there.

In my experience the band on shifter stops were in the middle if on top of the tube and offset to one side if on the bottom. A stop in the middle at the bottom might "miss" the band as there is a gap where the band is split.

Well, thanks everyone for all your input and knowledge. For me, I'm very much enjoying the idea of getting this frameset back on the road - one I could only dreamed of having in 1968 at the age of 14.
Robert

Hi , the below link has some more pictures of the frame details.

http://imgur.com/a/9LhC9

I think the rear drop out is the most unique feature , I am not sure what the spike is for my thinking is that it could be for some kind of Cyclo Ace/ Osgear set up.

Any advice much appreciated.

Cheers.

George.

Re:

Hi George,

You have Osgear or Super Champion ends, not used much after early 50s. Something else unusual, mudguard clearance but no mudguard eyes, yet has a lamp bracket boss. Just makes me think the ends were a replacement, do not look quite original. Mudguard eyes could have been removed when repainted. Long fork rake typical of late 40s to early 50s.

Keith

Re: Re:

keithglos":3twlpysl said:
Hi George,

You have Osgear or Super Champion ends, not used much after early 50s. Something else unusual, mudguard clearance but no mudguard eyes, yet has a lamp bracket boss. Just makes me think the ends were a replacement, do not look quite original. Mudguard eyes could have been removed when repainted. Long fork rake typical of late 40s to early 50s.

Keith

Hi Keith ,

The frame does have mudguard eyes they are just obscured by the QR arm.

I was repainted in the 1970s so some modifications could have easily be made. If the ends are replacements it would seem odd that someone would choose to have stamped rather than cast ends.

The Lugs look like the ones from a Cyclone Deluxe to me.

Thanks for your insight.

George.

George,

Your frame (12861) looks to me as a circa 1950 Cyclone.

Things that go against a Cyclone Deluxe are the lack of more elaborate lugs with additional spearpoints to side of lugs, lack of chrome and lack of unique Cyclone Deluxe head badge.

Pic of 1950 Cyclone Deluxe with lugs showing additional spearpoints, unique head badge and similar fork crown to your own (Kilgariff):

Pic of 1950 Cyclone (not Deluxe) from Classic lightweights (with later 50's badge) showing less elaborate lugs as yours (modified Nervex Pro) and again similar fork crown to yours:

Velobase Cyclone Deluxe Headbadge (used in years 1948 to 1951):

Brass headbadge off a 1948 LaQuelda (Velobase) and probably similar to yours from what I can see. I've also seen an aluminum 1951 similar design badge (CL Zephyr):
Also re Osgear rear dropouts. They were an option described in 1950 catalog:
From Classic Lightweights:

Doug

Attachments

• CycloneDL2.jpg
    CycloneDL2.jpg
    24.6 KB · Views: 592
  • 484s.JPG
    484s.JPG
    6.2 KB · Views: 592
  • 2D789801-AC06-4209-A979-1542724E6367-2.jpeg
    2D789801-AC06-4209-A979-1542724E6367-2.jpeg