Holdsworth Competition

Planet X sent me an XL instead of a large. I should be getting the correct frame mid next week, so I'll measure it all when it shows up.

I unpacked and weighed the XL before I realised it was the wrong size. The XL, totally bare, was 1893g, which is a bit heavier than I expected; hopefully the L is a bit lighter. I'm no weight weenie, but my old 531c frames from the 1980s are a tiny bit lighter than that, so it'd be nice if the "new beaut" Columbus Spirit isn't a brick. :D . However, the Holdsworth Competition is built more like a chunky alu frame, with large-ish tubes and a tapered head tube, so I gather it's designed more for stiffness than a traditional springy steel feel.

I wasn't charged the VAT, I assume because I'm in Australia, so that brought the price down from 499 pounds to 417, which obviously makes it an even bigger bargain. Postage through DHL was 89 quid.

I only had a quick look at the frame before I repacked it, but the finished looked good to me. I guess a couple of the welds could've been better, but I've got little idea about that

I was a tad disappointed that no seatpost collar or headset came with it, considering that tapered headsets are slightly more expensive than the "free" box full of old standard ones I've got here.

Yes, the big headtubes are something I had to consider. A 175mm for the 57cm (effective) is a smidge on the large side for me (I'll have no spacers), but the medium, with its 155mm and 55cm effective top tube is too small

Definitely takes 28s comfortably, would take 30s on chainstays but not so sure about under the brake bridge (EDIT - just checked, will comfortably take a 30c).

Regarding size, I don't think that it's particularly upright but neither is it head down arse up.

Finishing is absolutely fine, paint is glossy and mine is unscratched after being flown to Spain and also in the back of a car with another bike to Belgium.

Oh, and re weight my complete XL with alloy stem, post and bars and 28c wirebead Gatorskins came out at 8.8kg which is plenty light enough for me

My 'large' turned up yesterday. Totally bare it's 1843g, and the fork is 335g, uncut.

This is an inflated 23mm GP4000, with just over 6mm clearance on each side; same at the seat stays.

holdsworth%20tyre%20clearance_zpstaa4wxuc.jpg

Re: Re:

Spokesmann":3bwouesm said:
Wileyone":3bwouesm said:
Sorry, and I may get Flamed for this but I think "Sandy" Holdsworth would roll over in His Grave if he saw this.

+1

Not working for me either I'm afraid :facepalm:

Sorry but I also have to agree, it's trading on the Holdsworth legend but not being part of it in anyway whatsoever apart from the graphics; Chesini get away with it because the lineage is unbroken... that's not to say it isn't a lovely bike, but better to create a new brand not appropriate a classic...a bit like Carrera team podium that built for Chiapucci, Roche, Pantani ...not related in anyway but name to the modern Halfords brand.

Re:

Oops, hadn't seen replies, thought I would get a notification.

Thanks for the additional info. I'm still torn between this and the Light Blue Robson.

The Robson is £100 more expensive but is (mostly) 853. It has a shorter head tube but takes a standard headset which I *think* would compensate.

Nice dilemma to have!

Latest posts

Back