Holdsworth Competition

haha, I think its awesome, Columbus Spirit steel tubing and old school paint job but basically a modern bike. It worked out about 3lbs lighter than my alloy winter bike and rides lovely - On the limited miles I did before I decided it was too likely to rain outside to ride it until next summer. lol
First time I've had Campag and love it, the only thing I would probably change would be to get some chrome rims, just couldn't get within my budget when I build this.

Huuuge seat posts! Is it a 'who's got the biggest contest'? Haha.

Seriously, Beauty is definitely in the eye of the beholder as seen from comments on here.

How bikes have change eh? and with it frame design has changed massively with the introduction of compact frames. Personally I don't think compacts are so easy-on-the-eye, especially with a straight (but sloping) top tube, but I understand the concept of it. I've got a modern Bianchi with a curved top tube and that doesn't look so severe. Maybe because my seat tube is only protruding 8" or so and these are nearly as long as broom handles!. Anyway, I'm sure the new Holdsworth's are very efficient bike's with new components etc, but I don't think I'd swap one of my Raleigh SBDU's for one and likewise I'm sure the guy's wouldn't want to swap their Holdsworth's for a Raleigh. Horses for courses isn't it.

I do like the paint scheme though, but somehow don't think the name belongs.

And by the way I like your garden chairs.. We've got identical one's.

Re:

This thread had completely slipped my mind, some interesting comments and completely agree that sloping top tubes aren't the most aesthetically pleasing. Oh, and my seatpost is clearly longer.

But how does it ride? It's first proper outing was to Spain in September last year and on the smooth, quiet roads of the Sierra Nevada it was rather delightful. And at 8.8kg it's certainly plenty light enough (especially given the 28c Gatorskins and alloy bar, stem and post) not to be limiting factor on the climbs, I certainly appreciated it on the 42km, 2,700m of height gain on the Pice de Veleta including the offroad gravel section at the top (other stats - 5 hour climb, only stopped for a beer and a burger once, 19C at the summit, 41C back in Grenada).

Conclusion? It rides like a quality bike. And is orange and kingfisher blue.

Now, just to fit that NOS Record 10s groupset with Neutrons......

Re:

I just made somewhat of an impulse buy on one of these frames after seeing someone riding one here in Melbourne the other day. :LOL: It obviously stands out, and I've never seen one before, so I asked the owner about it.

When he told me he got the frame here for about $810 AUD, I was shocked, so I looked into it. Columbus Spirit for $800 Aus is so cheap here!! The same steel with 'Casati' written on it would be at least $2,500, and a Baum in Spirit would cost more than my car :D

They're still discounted to about 500 quid, so I ordered one today. Are they really half price, or are they always discounted? Ha :mrgreen:

Anyway, I hope it's not a brick (not that I bought it too be super-light) and it rides ok.

I got the size L; does anyone know roughly what the bare frame weighs? I suppose I'll find out soon enough.

My 3 best steel frames are busted, so I decided to get one of these instead of spending hundreds getting the old ones fixed at the moment.

I agree with Yorkie it's a name that has its own heritage and even when Roy Thame had to build the frames under his own name they were still (mostly) built at 132 lower putney rd. For me there is no link to the old marque, it's like when BMW built the new mini it wasn't right. Nothing against the bike it's great looks and sounds like its a great ride but it should say Planet X.

kingbling":1e7al3ot said:
I agree with Yorkie it's a name that has its own heritage and even when Roy Thame had to build the frames under his own name they were still (mostly) built at 132 lower putney rd. For me there is no link to the old marque, it's like when BMW built the new mini it wasn't right. Nothing against the bike it's great looks and sounds like its a great ride but it should say Planet X.

I really don't think Roy Thame ever built any Frames. I believe he was just the "Boss"/owner. Tommy Quick built Frames for RT among others. Tommy was the head builder for Holdsworth after Reg Collard retired in 1970.

Wileyone":3us2q4ey said:
kingbling":3us2q4ey said:

I really don't think Roy Thame ever built any Frames. I believe he was just the "Boss"/owner. Tommy Quick built Frames for RT among others. Tommy was the head builder for Holdsworth after Reg Collard retired in 1970.

Yes your correct I should of said produced at Putney, Roy was a good team and shop manager but no good with a torch. I believe they were built by Auto Strada as well and the special orders were built at Putney.

Re:

Hi folks, new to the forum, wanted to register to check in with the happy Holdsworth owners to ask a couple of questions:

1) Are 28c tyres a 'comfortable' fit? I.e. What sort of clearance either side?

2) I'm a bit confused about the geometry, Planet X seem to state reach of 488 for a large, assuming 100mm stem, so I equate that to a reach of 388 without stem.

Likewise they state a stack of 610 with a 15mm spacer, so 595 without?

I ask because these numbers are quite similar to my old Cannondale Synapse, a position I want to replicate if poss. Is the Holdsworth quite an upright geometry?

3) Any other issues? I'd heard of finishing issues on other Planet X frames, but not ones costing £599...

Cheers

Back