Hinds is Back on The Road

Re: Kevin Scriven

Just bought a very nice light blue Hinds track frame for my son with "Kevin Scriven" written on top. I have also got a Hinds road bike from 1967. Lovely frame, very well built. Bought that off a school friend in Ealing back in 1972. Apparently, it had been made for someone who outgrew it, as did my friend (he rowed). Would very much welcome more information on Hinds, Kevin Scriven... I understand that Alec Bird built some of the frames. How do I read the numbers on the BB? Year first? Did the system ever change? The Hinds shop in Ealing used to be on Bond Street. It then became the Ealing Cycle Centre.

I am going to be selling this on here.My back wont do drop bars any more.All the money will be going to The Childrens Trust.

Got my Hinds finished.The only new parts used,tubs,brake blocks,inner gear & brake cables,hoods & adjuster covers,chain,& bar tape (didnt get enough)Pump is non original,I could do with a better one if you have one.Chainset caps are temporary until I find some good Campag ones.
I am only the second user of this bike,I say user,because one owner sold it straight on,& the guy I bought it off never even started the refurb.First user was a works rider,so was he an owner or a user.
I also have one W.Hinds tyre cover,not ready yet,they were made from floral plastic table cloths,I kid you not.
All paint ,transfers etc all original.
Hello
So interesting to see this.
At the tender age of 13 I pestered my parents to buy me a second hand Hinds from a shop in Ruislip Gardens. A princely sum of £40 circa 1972. I promptly joined Ealing CTC and later Redmon RC. My Hinds toured me all over England and Time trialed me around Gatwick for a few years. It was then passed back to my dad who for some reason repainted it and rebranded it as a Mal Rees that I recall was in Hayes I believe. I know nothing further about. It is still in that livery. I reclaimed it in the 90s and rode it regularly, it is so used that the 52 tooth chain ring does not function as it is so worn they are barely mounds but apart from the wheels is as was. It was a deep blue with red headset and seat tube bands with gold coach lines around the banding, amazing quality. Chrome front and rear with the chrome wrapping over the rear stays around the seat tube. Mostly equipped as your lovely example universal brakes campanile record bar end changers etc. It was a bit behind the times for when I had it. The large flange hubs had round holes not long slots and the chain set was a bit clunky. Much to the derision of clubmates, cyclists then as now can be such fashion victims. I remember Hinds in Ealing we’ll nice little shop.
The bike is still in Uxbridge so hasn’t moved far in it’s life although I have, but one day I will return it to it’s former livery when I re inherit it once again. But at that point I will have a Claud butler short wheelbase tandem another Claud Butler and a whitcomb to recommission also. Lucky I now have time.
Few more pics

Back