Sorted High Flange Hubs

kingoffootball

Retrobike Rider
Gold Trader
Feedback
View
I wasn't sure whether to post this here or try in MTB, but let's start here.

I've always liked high flange hubs, but don't currently own any. I'm not 100% sure what I want, so it's a case of seeing whether anything takes my fancy.

They don't need to be period correct, so anything up to current is fine, but they do need to either be 130mm or easily converted to 130mm OLN.

Any you're willing to part with?

Most large flange hubs are for a freewheel (up to 7 speed). I don't think Shimano ever made a 7 speed Uniglide large flange freehub since they were well out of fashion at this point. Probably one of the most common and reasonably priced would be a Normandy hub which were still produced into the 80s. I think Suzue are still making large flange hubs.

I have had a look at curent high flange hubs and I've seen some fairly nice ones, but they do tend to be a bit pricey. I do like the modern Suzue ones, although I think I would prefer hubs with cut-outs in the flange .... although I guess the ones without are easier to clean!

A freehub would be nice, but I can live with a freewheel as long as it works with 130 rear spacing.

American Classic comes to mind, only seen black ones, possible they do silver/metal. They have large flange with cutouts and cassette freehub. I’ve got some of their large flange MTB ones on another bike, nice clicky noises. They do come up at relatively reasonable price if you wait around a while, usually cheaper acquiring as part of a wheel. Think it’s because they are less mainstream/less well known but I’ve had the rear one apart and is well machined, great quality.

American Classic comes to mind, only seen black ones, possible they do silver/metal. They have large flange with cutouts and cassette freehub. I’ve got some of their large flange MTB ones on another bike, nice clicky noises. They do come up at relatively reasonable price if you wait around a while, usually cheaper acquiring as part of a wheel. Think it’s because they are less mainstream/less well known but I’ve had the rear one apart and is well machined, great quality.
Thank you, I'll take a look at theirs!

I could live with some unbreakable tndem ones, for sure. Having looked some more I'm not certain I can afford any that I like though.

On reflection, if you went down the more common, cheaper and available Normandy hub-set, you would need to mess about with a longer axle.

I'm pretty certain now they are more in the 5 - 6 speed period with a OLN of about 120 - 126; I'm messing about with one this very moment

Your problem is that high flange hubs will be screw on .That means a longer unsupported rear axle if you are going 130mm. You will eventually bend the axle. Early cheap mountain bikes used screw ons and broken and bent axles were common hence shimano inventing the free hub. Normandy hubs also had the thinner axles. I dont know if that applies to all normandy hubs but is the case with a couple of front ones I have.I have a pair of 700c wheels on SR large flange hubs if they are any good to you. Front is qr rear is nutted.They are screw on.Buit on to what I think are rigida rims. All in excellent condition.They were built for a project that never completed

Thank you. That's helpful insight, I hadn't thought about the difference in axle suport between freewheel and freehubs.

Are the SR hubs you have 130 mm or would they need respacing?

I have a potential line on some modern freehub high flange hubs that are a bit expensive, but beautiful, so I will consider whether that is a better route.

Back