Hifi buffs: carpet or hard floors.......effect

tenbikes

Retro Guru
Hello you HiFi buffs!

I've always had carpet on the floor, but I'm considering switching to laminated hard flooring.

What if any are the likely effects on the sound from my system??

Laminate, depending on the finish

Reverb, splashy sound, lots of reflection, higher db

Carpets

Lots of absorption, lower db

Curtains and panels help and room correction software too

Hard Floor, you know the score! (sorry)

Thanks for that:)

Are you saying that at micro surface level different hard laminate flooring will have different degrees of effect??

Laminate, depending on the finish

Reverb, splashy sound, lots of reflection, higher db

Carpets

Lots of absorption, lower db

Curtains and panels help and room correction software too

Hard Floor, you know the score! (sorry)
Just the same in cars leather seats vs fabric seats, though people very rarely change them, but in previous job life, we had different “base” sound profiles based on trim material, led vs rhd, etc.

Just the same in cars leather seats vs fabric seats, though people very rarely change them, but in previous job life, we had different “base” sound profiles based on trim material, led vs rhd, etc.
thats what room correction is for

some of my car stereos had an equalisation function to suit the interior - place microphone on seat headrest, press start, slam door an runaway

Car stereo is nuts now. Digital time alignment, 32 channel PEQ on each channel, 10+ channels, phase adjustment, fully adjustable crossovers (frequency, filter type & slope), etc etc.

Maybe.. but is it as good as artex ceilings with plates on the dado rail.. flock wallpaper, shagpile carpets and velvet curtains?

Back