Hi All - new(ish) member, Stumpy M4 01

nokama

Dirt Disciple
Hi All,

I've lurked for a couple of months, but I've posted some stuff up for sale today, so I thought I'd introduce myself.

I'm Will, and I've been into bikes since a very early age. I landed my first cycle mechanic job at the age of 12. I had a new Dawes Tracker from the LBS at that age, and it had a uni-glide rear hub. It was very new, and they didn't know how to fix it, so I found out the part number for the freehub myself, and told them which part to order etc. I then went in on the Saturday after they'd got the part in, and fitted in in ten minutes. The boss of the shop was so impressed he offered me Saturday work and after school work as a trainee mechanic. From then until leaving for uni, I lived in that shop practically, and ended up being the sole mechanic there. Sounds like I'm blowing my own trumpet a bit, but those were the best years of my life, and I just thought I'd share.

I've also done 3 years at the biggest bike shop in the area as a mechanic. Now I'm into IT and programming, but still love my bikes. Here's my current project, I'm just waiting for ti bolts to finish her off:

100_1762.JPG

I'm hoping to get to know some of you, and be an active member here. It's great to see such a passion for the bikes I remember from my youth. I was really impressed and taken aback by the Yeti Missy Giove thread.. it's amazing the history and excitement the mtb community has generated over the last 40 years, makes me feel old, but in a good way :)

Re:

hi Will, and welcome!
as you posted on my thread, i thought it only polite to repay the compliment!
nice wee story and a nice looking bike, some lightweight bits on there too, should be a flier when finished! cheers! :D

Re: Re:

velofrog":3cmpgqc5 said:
hi Will, and welcome!
as you posted on my thread, i thought it only polite to repay the compliment!
nice wee story and a nice looking bike, some lightweight bits on there too, should be a flier when finished! cheers! :D

Yeah, just got back from my "quick ride" circuit round the local country roads, those Cross Rides are brand new on it, don't half make a difference. It's not been offroad with them yet, but she'll be gettin all dirty soon enough :)

Hi feller
Worked in bike shops ,,bet you've seen a lot changes over the years, I've slipped back into bikes again mostly just for fun but how far mountain bikes well bikes in General have improved is pretty crazy, visited local bike shop and was amazed that the frames come pre wired for electric shifting,,,and mtb are getting it to . All that clunking and mis gears from years ago all gone and programmable .along with how far suspension bikes have come just wish could buy set legs and lungs from for sale section be ok. :LOL:
Any how nice bike

Yeah, I started this Stumpy project last year, and I ballsed up the bottom bracket fit.. I'd never worked with these new fangled external things. Bolted the crank up, found I'd not spaced it right, and had to go buy an IBIS crank puller coz my old one wouldn't do the job.. highly embarrassing :S

:oops: :oops: not good, got a hollow crank chainset on my bike deff lot easier than the old cups with ball bearings in :shock: further apart you can get the bearings better, looking at new bikes the bob shells are really wide now, but hey have a press fit bearing like the bikes from ages ago,,, all comes round again ,,

Re:

I saw some top new guys talking about pressfit bb's, and one company (Santa Cruz?) has bucked the trend, and these guys were givin respect for that, and were sayin that that company was way ahead of the game.. the bike trade just keeps reinventing old tech to make things incompatible.. it's all marketing at the end of the day..

Re:

Pic of my Race Face Evolve XC cranks fresh back from the powder coaters. Had them done in satin black to better match the new XT and XTR stuff I've put on.

100_1919.JPG

Had them done at Maldon Shotblasting & Powder Coating, they did a great job!

Now do I put decals on them, or leave them stealth?

Re:

Cheers, needs riding though, all pretty things need a good ride every now and again, just to keep them content ;)

Back