Hetchins Vade Mecum H27329

Psimpson

Retro Guru
A build up for my friend John, who wants it built up with more time period parts. It was originally built up with modern parts to make it easier for his wife to ride. Because of her developing dementia she hasn’t been able to ride it so it’s my next project, sadly it has sustained a dent in the top tube which needs attention.
I would like to just polish the frame up but I am not sure how to deal with the dent.

Attachments

• IMG_7251.jpeg
    IMG_7251.jpeg
    683.1 KB · Views: 18
  • IMG_7249.jpeg
    IMG_7249.jpeg
    600.8 KB · Views: 18
Last edited:
The dent in the frame, it’s on the lower side of the top tube. Someone has touched it in badly. I will have to see it it can be repaired or leave as is.

Attachments

• IMG_7257.jpeg
    IMG_7257.jpeg
    198.1 KB · Views: 13
The modern seat post is jammed in, I hope that crack is just in the paint but I think it’s in the metal too.

Attachments

• IMG_7262.jpeg
    IMG_7262.jpeg
    377.6 KB · Views: 14
  • IMG_7263.jpeg
    IMG_7263.jpeg
    278.6 KB · Views: 15
Last edited:
I gave up on trying to get the seat post out in case I caused more damage and made that split worse. Frame is now with Mario Vaz to repair any damage, roll out the dent and a respray.
That will look lovely when done, I had a straight Experto Crede which I never got around to and sold as a project. Doh!

I did a Crede for John previously, he has it in his study with some of his old cycling clothing draped over it. He can’t ride on the roads but keeps as fit as he can on a Turbo. Such a shame his wife’s dementia is robbing them of their life, he looks after her at home.

Back