Hetchins Magnum Bonum

Had some spare time last night and finally got a decent set of polishing wheels for the power drill. Result is I've been able to polish up the chrome plating on the rear stays. Apologies for the poor photos - all done on my iPhone as its easy to take and upload to Flickr from one device, also because I'm crap at taking photos!

7652834644_768bb3281a.jpg
[/url]
Untitled by gtpulse78, on Flickr[/img]
7652836410_8f260ce9d1.jpg
[/url]
Untitled by gtpulse78, on
Flickr

Getting the parts together that were stripped to assess what I need to acquire/replace. Some are obviously period and original to the bike, others I'm not sure on.

On the keep list are chater lea fluted chainset;vintage cinelli stem and bars; weinmann non aero brake levers;brooks swift saddle;mafac centre pull brakes. Apart from the saddle, all of these will need work refurbishing before they are used.
Came on the bike but I'm not sure about are sugino bottom bracket;tange headset; Normandy hubs on weinmann rims, flip flop rear.

I've got a double fixed/flip flop chater lea hub on a Dunlop rim that I think will replace the Normandy rear wheel. Ideally I'd like to replace the front wheel; headset and bottom bracket for chater lea but rarity and cost may prohibit this. Likely I'll build up and replace over time. I do also have the much frowned upon option of of changing it all for the dura ace njs track kit I stripped off my modern track frame, but having offered up the wheels it's obvious 700c looks wrong on this frame.

Hoping to paint in my upcoming holiday. So far BMW Le Mans blue is looking the most likely candidate, a dark blue metallic that matches my car . I had thought a powder blue would look good, but I don't think it will contrast the chrome part of the frame very well.

Back