Here we go again... '92 GT RTS (Team?)

jdcXheaknuL658S

Dirt Disciple
Bring your pitch-forks...

So, I have brought a sold as GT RTS "Team". I have no idea yet as to whether it is or isn't in fact "anything", but it is a 92 RTS - maybe RTS 1, if it isn't a team. Frame ID : 1292 1764 - December 1992 Frame.

My question is: What was the original specification? It is coming with:

- It appears to have the alloy rear triangle (from +94? Or were there ones before which alloy?)
- Rockshox mag 21 fork
- Magura Red hs-11 hydraulic rim brakes
- Tioga alloy headset
- Shimano square taper bottom bracket
- GT stem
- Ritchey bars
- Ritchey seatpost

I have purchased:
- Spin 26" Tri-spoke wheels separately
- Flite Ti

What am I missing?
- 3x8 or 3x9 XTR? XT? Groupset - don't know what they came with
- What shifters?
- What Noleen damper SHOULD it have, as the one on this one, has no remote reservoir
- Julie Furtado

Re:

If the serial has a date format in it like a zaskar, and the front triangle has a flat cap, it's a team or RTS-1 built in the USA.

I own a team I bought nos, with an alloy rear end, date stamp is 93 I think.

Original spec would be 8 speed xt or xtr, though some were frame only (team I think, could be wrong).

Shock wise, early ones didn't have the piggy back shock and tended to have steel rear ends, not sure when this changed.

Hope this helps.

No pic - didn't happen.

:D

Those frames came with various Shimano-Sets. I think 3x7 XT/LX/STX or M900 3x8 XTR depending on the price and year (the later, the cheaper the parts, as the frame made its way from top to middle range). M950 or even M952 is to "young" because the RTSs were repaced by LTSs by the time the M950 was around.

It it is indeed a late 92 model frame, I would hink it came with the brand spanking new edge technology m900 3x8 XTR groupset.

Re:

Looks a us built frame with the date/serial in zaskar style to me. Not sure how you can tell a team or 1 frame apart visually, perhaps someone knows how via serial? As far as I know, the frames were the same, teams tended to be bare alu, 1s black. Certainly in the early days anyway.

Nice bike, what are you going to do build wise?

Not sure.

I need to see how it sizes against me, and whether it fits me to ride. I am suspecting it will be close, but I will intend to restore it to its former glory one way or another. It was my dream bike many, many moons ago in the GT Catalogues of old... 1994’s was chopped up and was made into posters for my wall. Hans Rey, Julie, and friends.

It might be one for the wall if I can get it in good enough condition. Action art so to speak IF I can’t ride it myself.

Back