help with tyre choices please!

a little off subject but
whats the best way of finding out what size will fit with out buying a tyre fitting it then it no fitting in the frame?
reason i ask is looking at changing my tyres to conti rubber queens, either a 2.2 or 2.4 at the moment i have 1.95 tioga on there looks like lots of room to bigger just dont want to waste my time?

lowslowandold":1fat77m5 said:
a little off subject but
whats the best way of finding out what size will fit with out buying a tyre fitting it then it no fitting in the frame?
reason i ask is looking at changing my tyres to conti rubber queens, either a 2.2 or 2.4 at the moment i have 1.95 tioga on there looks like lots of room to bigger just dont want to waste my time?

Measure between your stay will give an instant estimate, a larger tyre will be slightly higher up in the stays as well.
The where it's close as people.
It's not just the frame you need to worry about, but with canti's of either type it is spreading the brakes apart so you can get the tyre in past them.

Best to say your rims, your frame and see if others have managed.

e.g.
Mavic XC717 with Schwalbe Rocket Ron 2.25" on 1997 Kona Explosif just fit in the frame, if it's muddy it will strip the paint either side but not lock up.
They do however rip the brake pads out of the Shimano Vbrakes when I put the wheel in.

2 things I didn't think about!
it's a 98 Specialized FSR, not sure on rims (assuming they are original) with v brakes (didn't even cross my mind about the tyre pushing them apart) wanting to fit 2.2 Conti Rubber Queens, possibly switching to disc or magura that will make a difference on fitting as well

FluffyChicken":3j1nzg69 said:
It's not just the frame you need to worry about, but with canti's of either type it is spreading the brakes apart so you can get the tyre in past them.
lowslowandold":3j1nzg69 said:
They do however rip the brake pads out of the Shimano Vbrakes when I put the wheel in.

Or just deflate the tyre :idea:

Back