Help with Reynolds 853 frame/rust please

Monkeeee01

Retro Guru
Hi all,

Looking for some advice please, I really want to get an 853 Reynolds Kona. I always seem to miss the Hot’s so I am looking at a 1998 or 1999 Explosif.

I’ve found a 1999 fairly cheap but it’s got some rust. I was thinking I’d like to get it stripped and resprayed and my questions is:

Is the rust largely superficial and if I strip and respray will that essentially remove and resolve it, or should I just stay away from a frame with rust and be patient in the hope a 1998 Explosif or an earlier Hot comes up?

Thanks 0EE52E51-186E-4668-9F02-880A92A4C9CF.jpeg CBAC5F78-87DD-419F-81A1-B1AEDE2F494C.jpeg

Seattube looks ok, chainstay Bridge worse, but hard to say without giving it a tap with a pen or something.

Not sure how thin the tubes are but I'd be looking at power coat and respray. Hopefully it's fine. Could strip it down in a less abrasive way if worried

Ask for a viewing, can’t hurt can it?🤷‍♂️ Unless you are too far away. I’ve seen that explosif, very tempting for me and not that far away.

As Coomber says, seattube wouldn't worry me, bridge looks pretty crusty.

If you are having it painted anyway then why not get it replaced? Shouldn't be too expensive (I'd probably charge £50 or thereabouts) and will be much better than just cleaning the rust off the existing bridge.

Paint > powdercoat any day of the week, especially given that there's some corrosion present, a painter will/should use a primer with some anti-corrosive properties. Powdercoat has no anticorrosive properties.

Thanks Klunkrider, tbh I hadn’t thought of that but I guess as it’s steel that’s totally an option.

What would you say would be a fair price for the frame only considering the condition. The seller wants £250 for the complete bike (inc the original Bombers) mostly avid/LX/XT kit).

He is open to an offer for the frame alone but as he says most of the value is in the frame alone.

Thanks Klunkrider, tbh I hadn’t thought of that but I guess as it’s steel that’s totally an option.

What would you say would be a fair price for the frame only considering the condition. The seller wants £250 for the complete bike (inc the original Bombers) mostly avid/LX/XT kit).

He is open to an offer for the frame alone but as he says most of the value is in the frame alone.

That's like asking how long a piece of string is!

I tend to find that Explosifs (and more recently, the lower end models too) go for prices way in excess of what I'd be willing to pay. They do go though so someone must be willing to pay it.

Agree. Some daft prices banding around for Konas. Once you’re into respray and stickers you really need to know you want to keep the bike as it’s a money pit otherwise.

That example does look a bit crusty so unless it’s a dream bike restoration. Either buy and just ride it as is or pass on it.

Agree. Some daft prices banding around for Konas. Once you’re into respray and stickers you really need to know you want to keep the bike as it’s a money pit otherwise.

That example does look a bit crusty so unless it’s a dream bike restoration. Either buy and just ride it as is or pass on it.
Yeah this is it. By the time I’ve bought it, shipped it, sent it off for stripping, respraying and new stickers it gonna cost me a fair whack. Will wait and see if I can find a 98 Explosif or ideally a 95-98 Hot I think (I know I’m dreaming but 🤷🏼‍♂️)

Back