Help with identification of a Raleigh

Caahauge

Retro Newbie
Hi forum,

So I bought a used Raleigh at a police auction, but the decals has been stripped off. I've tried to identify the model from the numbers on the saddelpost (both on the side and on the back), also I tried to look up the 5 digit number on the BB. Unfortunately I'm kind of new to the bike world, and I'm at a loss where else to find any information about the bike.

Saddel post side number: WAR 11126 D

Saddel Post back number: NM 7125278

BB number: 59253

The gearing:

Sturmey Archer SS.2 (or 55.2?), 87 - 11

I have already tried out Sheldon Brown's and Kurt Kaminer's sites, but with no luck. If someone could please guide me, that would be very helpful. :)

- Christian

Hi Christian

Post sharp detail pictures.
You may have the date 1987 on the SA, which is long after raleigh closed original Nottingham production.
Your location could help.

Keith

NM 7125278 - This would indicate a Nottingham built bike, (N) in September (M) and either 1977 or 1987 (from the first number)

As Keith has said, pictures will help to identify it, and clarify if it is a 1977 or 1987...

Thank you for your replies. I have taken some pictures, if you need more, please feel free to ask.
The handlebars have of course been put at different angle and re-wrapped - and I have put on a new saddle (the other did not look original either).
On the top tube, there's a small chip in the paint, and it seems that the under coat of paint is blue. The front emblem is still there, and fom that I'm able to tell that it is indeed made in England, but that is almost the only way to tell it is a Raleigh.

About my location: I live in Denmark, so it has probably been imported.

Sorry for the huge pictures.

p1v6oT8.jpg

dCuV5rf.jpg

e9LTYnJ.jpg

E4zc3Ld.jpg

wwy5uQw.jpg

HWsOK8Z.jpg

It's got me stumped!

The head badge puts it after 1984, which is when I believe they changed to this style.

I'm not aware of any Raleigh's of that vintage leaving Nottingham with that set up of Sturmey Archer, so this has probably been added later..

It's 18-23 tubing, so a fairly run of the mill beast really.

Thanks for the help MrW. It is very much appreciated. :) I am just going to use this bike as an every day beater for the cold and wet part of the year; but I wanted to make sure I did not ruin a classic bike, by adding new hardware.

Do you know where I would be able to buy ned hoods for the break levers?

Also, now that you have placed it after 1984, would that mean the bike is manufactored in '87? So it is: Nottingham, September, '87 - and then the last six digits are the manufactoring number?

It all points to a 1987 Raleigh, for some reason it looks like it wasn't destined for the UK ?

Shaun

Back