Help with frame identification.

I'm in Stoke on Trent and the frame was bought from an ebay seller in Macclesfield who didn't know the maker. I have emailed Ellis Briggs with pictures but they say it's not one of theirs. I thought it may be a Holdsworth built Claud Butler but just a guess.

Re: Re:

COUPES":1a4gdyzz said:
Just measured some head badges and 57mm for Claud Butler and Freddie Grubb. Could be a Holdsworth built frame?

Look different sizes but both 57mm. Not necessarily these type of badges.

Simon

The head badges of all the Holdsworth brands seem to match up with the holes then.

Re:

Hard to say it is definitely a Holdsworth brand. Four digit serial number I've got on a Grubb. Curved rear bridge but finished with lugs/tabs on the ends on the seat stays. Everyone was using Nervex professional lugs in the 50s-60s. Like Keith said the rear seat stays aren't common. The top of the seat stays cut/finish is quite long but have seen this on a few frames. Hard to identify exactly what it can be.

Simon

Re: Re:

COUPES":5vvaguht said:
Hard to say it is definitely a Holdsworth brand. Four digit serial number I've got on a Grubb. Curved rear bridge but finished with lugs/tabs on the ends on the seat stays. Everyone was using Nervex professional lugs in the 50s-60s. Like Keith said the rear seat stays aren't common. The top of the seat stays cut/finish is quite long but have seen this on a few frames. Hard to identify exactly what it can be.

Simon

I think it will be hard to pin it down, it doesn't seem to have any specific features. A chap at L'eroica last year thought it may be a Viking but they had six figure numbers it think.

Not sure if Garyfarrar every got to bottom of this one, but my two penneth;

1. Definitely Holdsworth Claud Butler
2. 1568 Low number points towards 1959-1960
3. Lugs are the Nervex style as used on the Cordon Bleu (see photo below)
4. Same stays and fork crown used on the Coureurs
3. No 1960 Catalogue, around so hard to check

Attachments

• CordonBleu61.jpg
    CordonBleu61.jpg
    115.7 KB · Views: 447
  • '64 Cordon Bleu.jpg
    '64 Cordon Bleu.jpg
    71.5 KB · Views: 447
  • '61Coureur#9081 (1).jpeg
    '61Coureur#9081 (1).jpeg
    169 KB · Views: 447
I still haven't managed to get a definite i.d. on the frame. Thanks for the post, some very useful information there.

Back