Help with a specialized s works enduro 2004

Re:

Just had a look at your link and I'm sure it's a mistake. The normal enduro with the switch fox shock had 4 or 5 inches of travel! Also, it seems a total mismatch of travel front/rear. The Epic sworks frame had 90mm travel and that was their xc race frame/bike.
Kes

Cheers for that. Trying to work out what the rear travel is and the web is throwing various options. Ive contacted specialized who havent really confirmed anything other than the i2i i can use and i shoukd bear in mind the stroke of the shock and try to match it as close as possible to the original. Im new to trying to understand shock details as ive only ever used stock shocks so not had to worry before.

Ive read that the enduro of this era had a proprietary shock made by fox with a non-standard i2i, but 200 seems pretty standard to me and thats the rl with brain and tge original shock.

Looks like more research is needed but if anyone knows, feel free to share.

Re:

Some more info I've found sugests that rear travel was 100 - 132mm with the fox shock with the itch switch on the fly travel adjust. The s- works had the brain shock so no travel adjust at the rear. Forks were talas rlc giving 80-130mm at the front.

Source: http://m.pinkbike.com/news/the-evolutio ... -2016.html

So what travel does a shock with the vital stats 200/50 provide?

If its 100mm at the rear, would matching this at the front be best?

Ive got a couple of options. Seems odd to soec a fork with 80mm travel though. The link on the rear of mine can ve flipped to adjust the head angle and bb height so if i use a shorter travel fork i could flip the link and slacken the head tube angle i guess.

Just sold my non s-works 2004 Enduro.Front forks were Manitou which could be adjusted from 80-120mm travel,rear itch switch did 90-132mm.This was the original spec which should give you an idea for what the frame was designed for.

I also sold a spare itch switch rear shock and as part of that was asked to measure length,it was 190mm eye to eye.

Main problem with original shocks is that mojo can't get the parts to service them although you can get basic air can seal kits of eBay.

Ive read about issues with parts for the custom fox shox. My shock is the original attached to a brain at the rear and has 200mm i2i which is handy as i had an rp3 in a box the same size. Just need to figure out its travel so i can match with the forks.

Ive also found in my spares box a version with the itch switch which is 190 i2i but this needs a service and im not fussed about on the fly travel change really.

On the non s-works the frame has a decal where the shock is mounted regarding the itch travel adjust. My s-works doesnt, i guess due to the brain and non-adjustable float r.

On the plus side ive now sourced a bolt kit, and can get a mech hanger so i can begin changing the bearings, and buikding it up. Just need to know which direction to take fork travel wise.

ishaw":2f0z72ug said:
On the plus side ive now sourced a bolt kit, and can get a mech hanger so i can begin changing the bearings, and buikding it up. Just need to know which direction to take fork travel wise.

That's good news :cool:

I'll still ask at the shop next weekend. Spares are never a bad idea.

I ditched the idea of getting matching Fox forks on the front of my 07 stumpy, it came with a cosmetically shagged but working set of rockshox Revelations, and I sourced a replacement set for under £50 that were cosmetically nice but not working. I figured I's cut and shut them to get a decent set of forks until I noticed the internals were totally different. I pumped air into the pos and neg chambers of the forks that didn't work just in case and they are sweet as :), so for underf £50 got a really nice set of forks, and from what I read at the time these were better forks than the stock Fox, so over to you Ian :)

Have you reassembled it yet and did that bolt work ok?

Back