HELP with 1954 claud butler new allrounder PERIOD PARTS?

I would suggest that catalogues did not always relate to real life, I was there. I was using a 10 speed system before 1950.
Read the rubbish about "club bikes" in some of the larger makers catalogues from the 1950s.
J have recently managed to help Peter Kohler to revise his excellent site on Raleigh sports bikes.

Keith

Thanks for all the info guys makes it a lot easier.
Going hopefully with a 4 speed with a cyclo benelux.
Going to get the frame sprayed at some point in the next month or two at mercian in derby. Going to cost a small fortune but i think in the end it will be worth it.

Re:

You might want to check out how overly glossy Mercian painted frames become.

I've got an Avant Coureur (I think it is anyway - maybe you could confirm that Keith) lurking in Dad's garage and it's completely original I shall try and dig out some photos for you to have a butchers at. Or I'll photograph it on Wednesday if I can't find them.

Here you go......

Sellers photo's, so as usual they don't show the business end of things.

Attachments

• $_58.JPG
    $_58.JPG
    57.9 KB · Views: 377
  • $_58-1.JPG
    $_58-1.JPG
    59.2 KB · Views: 377
Actually now looking at the pics, I think its a 60's Avant Coureur by Holdsworth.

Too modern for you though.

Thanks for the pictures lovely bike :)
I hadn't heard about the over glossiness I will have a look into it. The only problem is that it is the closest to me, I live in the loughborough area and couldn't find any other places that do respray.

As soon as I saw the pics I thought of Holdsworthy. Not Holdsworth although there were some family relations. Holdsworthy were the import and trade wholesalers, also building quite good value frames for the trade who bought the names. I sold loads of the Freddie Grubb £7.12.6d frames, made with reynolds grade A drawn tubing.

Keith

Depends on the chosen crank.
In the simple 1960s for cottered cranks we basically had 3 lengths of bracket axles, The longest was referred to as "Gear Case Clearance".
There were variations from specific makers.

It is possible to make approximate measurements. The chainring has to clear the chainstay, and you can measure the depth of the crank. Your frame was probaly built with the 4.5 inch rear end width and 1.5 inch chain line, so a single chainring should be 1.5 inches from the centre of the down tube. A large chainring may need to be further out.
For 5/10 speed we used to follow the continentals with a 1.75 inch chain line and 4.75 inch rear end, sometimes with a little gentle adjustment. this was mainly so that rear wheels were not severely weakened by having the gear side spokes almost vertical. Many larger makers and Continentals crimped the chainstays to give clearance.

Back