Help save an abandoned rockhopper!

Great find, well brought back.

My bro in law found a nearly new Giant in a ditch (was just starting to rot).
Local police just took details and agreed it had probably been stolen but no one had reported
so they couldn't trace owner. After a while he was allowed to keep it (I did it up nicely for my nephew !).
Plod said it would just have rotted in their storeroom and then been put up for auction on Bumblebee.

hamster":21qkcrz7 said:
You will probably need a far shorter stem to get the reach right, perhaps a 90mm with 35 degree rise.

Yep. Gonna build it up roughly first and then work out fit. Not sure whether I'll want the bars quite a bit higher too, might have to use an adjustable stem (would rather not) or get some new forks with an uncut steerer. Considering some Surly LHT forks, or Thorn MT-Tura, would allow me to use front racks, but would bump up the budget somewhat. See how it feels as-is first.

A funny thing just happened. I was setting up the brakes, and initially couldn't work out why I couldn't get the front pads on. As usual a simple explanation was waiting for me, it turns out the forks (which came with the frame) are 700c ones. I wonder if it was ever ridden like that. I'm considering a 700c front wheel with a slightly skinnier tyre... a bit bonkers but I kind of like it. Will try to get some pics up. Of course on the other hand this could be just the excuse I need to splash out on some fancy forks.

Welcome your thoughts!

Re:

They make great tourers that's why there's a demand there bombproof got a xl here same year that I was thinking of building but it's not happening mine also seems to have longer chain stays which gives that little extra heel clearance for panniers

Finally finished, and it's become my daily ride. Love it!

I got hold of a pair of Surly Long Haul Trucker forks, and in the end went for modern Sunrace derailleurs as the old LX mech wasn't playing nice with the 9 speed chain and shifters. The Sunrace stuff works really well - well up to Shimano quality IMO and for the price you can't go wrong.

Not one for the purists, but it's a great bike.

dyna-ti":2ui2zudp said:
Its become aesthetically frightening :LOL:
I like the sound of that. :twisted:

That steerer cannot be safe :LOL:
According to Surly it's fine. I can't see why not anyway, it's a big f*** off steel tube and bearing in mind it's not going to do all that much, er...rock hopping... it's not likely to be under much stress anyway. I've clamped it twice, once at the headset and again at the stem. Used a slightly modified alloy seatpost clamp. Certainly feels solid.

Im 6'3" ;) The world of bikes is populated by little people.
I was kidding about the steerer but tbh its the length showing that had be a little concerned none the less. Its a steel tube and yes as such is strong as hell. But the method of use on it is such that youre always putting forward strain on it and any steel tube will bend if the force remains on it for long enough.
What would be slightly worrying is, would it bend or would it suddenly shear :?

Thanks for your concern, but I'm not in the least bit worried. I'm not even sure I could bend it (permanently) if I tried. But break it? Forget it. I've done a fair bit of bending steel tubes, straightening out bent frames and the like and it takes a lot of force to take it past the point of elasticity. That's not going to happen on this bike. Even if it did it's a long way from that point to it actually breaking. Steel doesn't "suddenly shear" in my experience, it can usually be bent back and forth multiple times before it will actually come apart.

If the bike was set up such that I were leaning down heavily on the bars (saddle higher), and with additional leverage from a longer stem, then maybe I'd be slightly concerned about bending the steerer (still unlikely I think) but with the current setup (relatively upright riding position, with short stem and bars roughly level with the saddle), there's really very little force acting on the steerer tube.

Oh, and here's what Surly say:
http://surlybikes.com/info_hole/faqs/ho ... surly_fork

Back