Available.Original SRP Syncros Cattlehead caps repro

Fatboy1974

Rocky Mountain Fan
Alpinestars Fan
Hi. After a succesful history with the Rocky Mountain seat clamp, I decided to model the Syncros cap and maybe manufacturing a bunch of them. I had two options, but because I need to do it by CNC ( casted needs an expensive mould). I decided to go for the simple alu one. Check the pictures ( I modeled the stem and the cap, and then I rendered it).
I tried to have a quotation, but the original design ( casted) is not easily machineable, so I did some mods not noticeable externally to make it cheaper with same performance. And Syncros engraved word shoul be there!.
According to my "supplier", I can obtain a price of 9-10€/ut anodised in black or silver and with word "Syncros" engraved if I order 40 units. Then I can sell it for 14 € to cover some packing. Again, I don't plan to become rich because of this.
Do you think it's worth to do 20-30 of them? It's a demanded item, but unluckily it requires shipping and cost increases a lot then. Anyway I need 3 of them, and because i can do decals easily, I use to buy stems with no decals and no caps. If there is some people asking for them I will produce them.

1703437611535.png

Attachments

• Syncros.bip.340.jpg
    Syncros.bip.340.jpg
    54.5 KB · Views: 4
  • Syncros.bip.348.jpg
    Syncros.bip.348.jpg
    51.4 KB · Views: 3
  • Syncros.bip.347.jpg
    Syncros.bip.347.jpg
    30.4 KB · Views: 4
  • Syncros.bip.346.jpg
    Syncros.bip.346.jpg
    39.6 KB · Views: 3
  • Syncros.bip.345.jpg
    Syncros.bip.345.jpg
    51.1 KB · Views: 3
  • Syncros.bip.344.jpg
    Syncros.bip.344.jpg
    45.1 KB · Views: 3
Cool. I’d definitely be up for a silver one please.
Do you intend to do them for both 1” and 1 1/8” stems?

I think that 1" is less common, and because it's a different CNC programming, I thinkg I would need to do again 20-40 units and I don't know if I would sell them. DO you know if black ones really were produced, or all of them were silver?

I also modeled the plastic ones, but they will crack if I 3dprint them. And an alu version costs 15€/unit.

As you know all three main styles are already reproduced, your modified style seems nice, clean cut though.

Personally, I would drop the inside lip a lot lower, so it locks in better. A bit more like the original style, rather than the CNC'd CRC version or the plastic naff one. I would also lower the bolt cap, so it doesn't poke out.

BUT I don't need any at the moment. Which sizes are you planning on making?

Nice :)
Could go mad and colour coordinate them in gold and red and ...

Last edited:
I note that mods, and I take note of your good idea. As far as I know, I can get anodised in Red, Gold, Black, Silver and some others.

Mods applied and sample of the colours. Gold could be nice, matching with the clamp piece. Other colors maybe match better with silver stem.
1703440248778.png

Attachments

• Syncros.bip.349.jpg
    Syncros.bip.349.jpg
    38.5 KB · Views: 3
  • Syncros.bip.350.jpg
    Syncros.bip.350.jpg
    39.7 KB · Views: 3
Basically, I wouldn't make a flat version that looks like the 'original' as the original isn't, it's a 3rd party made to sort of work with it. As far as I know it is a CRC (Chain Reaction Cycles) top cap mad in the mid-ish 00's to whenever they sold them all. Was about £6 with bolt back then.

Recessed version is original, the Plastic cap came about around the ~ GT buying Syncros in '97
So have fun, make it better.

Unless there was a 4th style for the mountain stem around 97 that had the flat cap style in silver, as I have seen a picture of one with a standard bolt poking out more, but looked similar to the recessed one in looks.

Back