Help needed dating a Kirk Revolution please

bjellys

Retro Guru
Hi I have just bought a Dawes Kirk Revolution and would like any info anyone has about them please .
The bike looks very original but I just don't know.

Attachments

• Kirk 1.jpg
    Kirk 1.jpg
    76.6 KB · Views: 836
  • kirk 4.jpg
    kirk 4.jpg
    63.6 KB · Views: 836
  • Kirk 10.jpg
    Kirk 10.jpg
    52.2 KB · Views: 836
  • Kirk 9.jpg
    Kirk 9.jpg
    64.8 KB · Views: 836
  • kirk 3.jpg
    kirk 3.jpg
    50.8 KB · Views: 837
1992 I think. However Dawes often used bulk-bought older parts, a lot of the bits look common to my 1994 Dawes tandem.

The number you are looking at is not the frame number . It is likely a stock number relating to Dawes involvement
in the Kirk project .
The frame number is engraved on a flat panel on the inside of the frame at the junction of the LH seat/ chain stays
It normally comprises a letter and 6 numbers . Mine is C200695 and is thought to date to the late 80's . As far as
I am aware there is no way of dating frame manufacture accurately from these numbers . Your Dawes/Kirk will be
from the later production run ie early 90's

Re:

Welcome to Retro Bike

Whilst its appears to all be OEM kit I think someones been swapping kit around between models or the frame broke and was replaced under warrantee, admittedly the frames were all the same except for the colour of the frame and decals

you appear to have an A20 main frame with lower spec fork and kit from a C10 however you front mech is an LX which came of the top spec one.... :shock:

awful bikes bike the way but iconic never the less (I own two) click on the link below
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=361267&start=50

Spud

Attachments

• Kirk rear page.jpg
    Kirk rear page.jpg
    112.6 KB · Views: 746
  • Kirk Page 3.jpg
    Kirk Page 3.jpg
    121.9 KB · Views: 746
I thought they all came with the same front LX mech? I also have a feeling that by 1994 they were replacing frames with whatever was available. I started with a black one, got replaced with a black and then a dark pink.

I think your right on both accounts

My first Kirk is a early pre Dawes era LX400 model however that came with a plain black band-on front mech (fitted minus the band obviously) whilst the later one an A20 but in Grey came with an full on branded LX mech
Incidentally the later Dawes frames whilst identical to the earlier version don’t appear to have had the slots in the top tub cut out (cost savings I guess)

I think what I’ve done above ^^ and muddied the waters was to fit the older mech on my later frame as I fitted a full XT735 era group set to and didn’t want an LX mech on show

I know it’s a “pig in lip stick” and rides like a floppy jelly but I like it never the less

A big thanks to everybody for the info it is much appreciated as I am new to this I have bought a few bikes to mess about with as I cannot ride for a little while . due to ongoing knee surgery.

Back