Help me with decision to buy a retro Italian bike

nicktodorov

Retro Newbie
Hello,
i am new to this forum and I apologize for this maybe too long post.
I am relatively new and in the same time sowehat experienced with this stuff. My dad was a cyclist and traveler, so when I was a child there were different road bikes at home. I used to ride a Peugeot bike from somewhere 70s. Then life took me away from this passion, years later I switched to mountain biking.
Recently I started doing longer road trips and having ideas for even longer, going to different countries on bike, etc.
I have decided that a road bike will be more suitable for this instead of my current lightweight XC hardtail. If I need to be honest, I do not like the look of pure expedition/trekking bikes. I know this is not rational, but they just do not have this passion and feeling to me. On the other hand, modern road bikes (of any kind) are expensive, too fragile (especially carbon ones), too sporty and again I do not like how they look and how they feel when riding.
So I am looking for a retro steel road bike. A bike that brings back my child memories. A bike that will be probably more emotional to own, maintain and ride, than practical. A bike with Campagnolo parts, since I remember how passionate my dad was about this brand. This is what comes in my mind when trying to imagine the perfect long road trip.
Anyway, I came to an add for this retro Italian bike and I am trying to decide whether to buy it. I am not sure if the bike is valuable and which year it could be, what are the Campagnolo parts on it, are they still usable, will I find replacements for gears when needed, etc.
According to the seller, it is De Rosa bike with Columbus tubes. Over the telephone, he said that it was obtained in Germany and the only change he made is to replace the Campy brakes with Shimano SLX because of a failure. Still haven't looked and tried it, but he says everything is in perfect condition. The price that he wants for it is around 430 pounds.
I will appreciate if you can give me more info for the bike and help me decide to buy it or not.

Attachments

• 85374428_1_800x600_shoseen-tre-zeta-gr-sofiya.jpg
    85374428_1_800x600_shoseen-tre-zeta-gr-sofiya.jpg
    79 KB · Views: 516
  • 85374428_3_800x600_shoseen-tre-zeta-velosipedi.jpg
    85374428_3_800x600_shoseen-tre-zeta-velosipedi.jpg
    44.3 KB · Views: 516
  • 85374428_2_800x600_shoseen-tre-zeta-snimki.jpg
    85374428_2_800x600_shoseen-tre-zeta-snimki.jpg
    82.8 KB · Views: 516
  • 85374428_6_800x600_shoseen-tre-zeta-.jpg
    85374428_6_800x600_shoseen-tre-zeta-.jpg
    80.8 KB · Views: 516
looks clean and tidy and not used much, parts and compatible stuff is widely available. Price point is fine to me too.

For the purpose you want perhaps an Audax frame/bike would be a better bet, braze ons for rack & other bits & bobs slightly softer ride angles, maybe worth a look

Latest posts

Back