Help me re-purpose my old MTBs!!!

Most GT's had the option of Rock Shox so a 425 fork wont be that bad. I'd use the Trek as is - ideal for commuting

Re: Re:

kermitgreenkona88":mmlls64n said:
Just for practical reasons the Trek has to be the 'Proper' bike. As putting 425mm front forks on the 92' GT's will change the handling as they are designed for 395mm forks.

As for the GT's dirt drop the Tequesta as this was the higher end bike and will ride better and rat the Timberline.

All of the above are just my opinions ;)

Glad you're validating what I've already done! (See pics).

The Trek with slicks would make a decent rival to a Surly/pricier touring bike I think - the forks have rack mounts too. But that makes me not want to bash it up on trails!

A lot of people dont get on with the short top tube GT's. I've only ever liked the Zaskar as I've found the steels a bit wobbly and the Taiwanese aluminium frames a bit dead.

Build a GT up, thrash the tits off it and see if you like it.

legrandefromage":1gw3n50n said:
Most GT's had the option of Rock Shox so a 425 fork wont be that bad. I'd use the Trek as is - ideal for commuting

Uh oh. Spanner in the works! Already gone another direction...

Have considered this though, as Trek has rack mounts.

Then could have the Tequesta with the Surly fork and disc, and the white Timberline with the white Midge drop bars...

Decisions...!

legrandefromage":395rh5x5 said:
A lot of people dont get on with the short top tube GT's. I've only ever liked the Zaskar as I've found the steels a bit wobbly and the Taiwanese aluminium frames a bit dead.

Build a GT up, thrash the tits off it and see if you like it.

They're perfect for me - I have learned over last few years that I prefer a short TT - last 2 road bikes have been 'small' size (48-50cm) despite falling firmly into the medium category on sizing charts. Coming from road cycling, I prefer a longer stem for slower steering and more weight over front wheel.

I thought about just getting a new modern MTB, e.g. an On-One inbred, but the effective top tube seems really long, even on small sizes. I can only assume that the higher front end of todays MTBs compensate for this...?

Today's MTB seem to have the bars super wide and up around your (and mine) ears - I just cannot get on with that riding position.

Even back in 2000, new bikes were getting very high at the front. Mid range road bikes seem to suffer too, totally losing the aerodynamic advantages.

legrandefromage":219z1fgs said:
Today's MTB seem to have the bars super wide and up around your (and mine) ears - I just cannot get on with that riding position.

Even back in 2000, new bikes were getting very high at the front. Mid range road bikes seem to suffer too, totally losing the aerodynamic advantages.

I agree to an extent about MTBs - one off the shelf bike I borrowed recently had me sitting so upright that my rear end suffered badly on a gentle 25 miler with breaks for coffee. Not good.

But on road bikes, I'd disagree - my experience is of bike shops, (especially chain stores), companies and magazines being guilty of encouraging casual, non-competitive riders who need a decent all-round road bike, to go for aggressive, low-down racing models, often with carbon/alloy fork steerers pre-cut to limit how high bars can be gotten. You're not aerodynamic on a road bike if you're uncomfortable and keep sitting up to relax your back, with the tips of your fingers on the flats of the bar to steer. (And can't reach the drops). If you don't ride it every day, and/or sit in chairs a lot, you quite possibly aren't flexible enough. But 'you probably want a more upright, comfortable position', doesn't sell as well as 'if you slam the stem down on this, you'll go fast like Wiggo'.
Having hoods level with saddle is plenty aerodynamic while still recruiting hamstring muscles comfortably. But even getting hoods level is hard on many contemporary bikes. I get around this problem by having off the shelf steel road bikes and using around 5cm of spacers under the stem, but if I had the money I'd get a handmade frame with longer head tube... Rant over ! ;)

Back