Help me keep my feet warm!!

Aside from the cold and wet of winter, if one suffers cold feet, perhaps even painfully cold feet or numbness, one might think about their blood as the feet are usually the furthest bit of body from the heart, it could indicate blood circulation problems, either internally or externally.

So by all means look for something to buy to keep the feet warm, but go and see your Doctor, as cold feet could be an indicator for as I said circulatory problems, high cholestrol and diabetes and I think raynaud's syndrome and cold vasospasm.

I know I got low blood pressure, but the cold hands and feet thing causes me to think deeply on the subject every winter and regards the feet I think I have come to the conclusion that what my feet do, is start off warm, sweat and that sweat cools as it should do, but the cooling is too much, it's painful even

So as an ideal I think some sort of synthetic wicking sock is required to take the moisture away from the skin into something like pure wool which actually gives off heat as it tries to dry. But the footwear is worth thinking about here, and with that a breathable waterproof shoe, as an unbreathable shoe will just keep the naturally occuring moisture in where it tries to cool kind of defeating the need to keep ones feet dry and there warm.

The other thing is one is meant to let footwear dry out between uses, well polished leather though water resistant from the outside does not dry out well between uses, and being organic, fungus grows down there which is not good for other organic things like feet.

So my recipe is fuller's earth foot powder, thin synthetic wicking socks, the old meraklon stuff works, pure wool outer socks and breathable synthetic outer foot wear, toastie is the result and with that, I can get on with other things whilst not thinking of cold painful feet in winter.

Ithink what one has to do, is not look at all the 'names' and what they boast, but look at the action of the materials they use and apply some thinking at what you are trying to achieve.

But if anyone has a sproglet in the house, hey, you have another use for that baby powder, as that is fuller's earth, rub your feet in it and tip it in your socks, it does help with the control of moisture from sweating.

I suffer from terrible cold toes .

last week it took 10 painful minutes to recover the feeling and warmth in them after a 1h30 night ride .

I have winter boots from sidi but they are 2nd hand and not great .

i suffer the same when skiing even with thick socks .

cchris2lou":4r5q33e2 said:
I suffer from terrible cold toes .

last week it took 10 painful minutes to recover the feeling and warmth in them after a 1h30 night ride .

I have winter boots from sidi but they are 2nd hand and not great .

i suffer the same when skiing even with thick socks .

Try tipping some cayenne pepper in your socks where the toes go, no kidding, it works, but the disadvantage is, it stains socks orange.

But as to socks, try wearing a thin pair made out of polypropylene, (or cut down ladies tights) and a thick pair over the top, made out of wool. Oh and if you do the Cayenne pepper thing, tip it between the socks down the toe area.

http://www.ehow.com/way_5471033_cold-feet-cures.html

Last year I made Cayenne massage oil, and use that now, a little goes a long way.

I know there are plenty of similar options for motorcyclists but they require a 12v supply.
I've seen cheaper battery operated versions on eBay, thought about testing these out as I do a lot of work outdoors in all weathers, but tbh I'm dubious about their effectiveness, and they only heat your feet not keep them dry
couple more weeks and I'll be trying out the Sealskinz socks, so will post my findings on those.

I've got some older Shimano winter boots, they're not bad, but not perfect. I've used seal skins, the originals were good, but the latest ones have been pants. Currently i use Protective waterproof socks, not as warm as seal skins, but at least they keep their shape/size.
When i went out in the snow, i switched to flat pedals, so old approach shoes, hiking socks, protective socks over the top, fantasticly warm feet. :D
I'll be trying merino socks and the shimano boots this winter as my main choice. Ultimately i want shimano mt91 :cool:

P20":2lia8upt said:
I've got some older Shimano winter boots, they're not bad, but not perfect. I've used seal skins, the originals were good, but the latest ones have been pants. Currently i use Protective waterproof socks, not as warm as seal skins, but at least they keep their shape/size.
When i went out in the snow, i switched to flat pedals, so old approach shoes, hiking socks, protective socks over the top, fantasticly warm feet. :D
I'll be trying merino socks and the shimano boots this winter as my main choice. Ultimately i want shimano mt91 :cool:

Like the MT91 too, but think these Northwaves Gran Canion look nicer (being black instead of brown)

90131_1_z1.jpg

... Just ordered these, will let you know soon how they work. My theory is that the more felxible sole will also create warmer feet ;)

Thought I'd better report back.
Got some of the Sealskinz Ultra Light ankle socks for Christmas and so far so good, for example today they kept my feet toasty and warm whilst out riding in the frost covered countryside and kept the splashes of mud and icy water away from my feet too.
Although by the end of the ride (1hr and a half) I could feel cold creeping into my toes, so perhaps a very thin sock underneath the Sealskinz ones may be a good idea when it's sub-zero outside.
Not tried them in torrential rain yet.

So far I'm pretty happy, for the price they seem to do a good job.

Sealskinz do a Merino liner sock which is very thin. Use them with Endura Thermolite socks when it is very cold.

REKIBorter":28rrbzl0 said:
Sealskinz do a Merino liner sock which is very thin. Use them with Endura Thermolite socks when it is very cold.

cheers, I will look into those :D

Back