Help me identify this Carlton (67 - 71)

lets hope most of the corrosion cleans off without leaving too much of a mess, it would be a shame to have to paint over them

spokesmann do you know if carltons ever used the funny raleigh threading for their bottom brackets? or were they all standard?

argh the new headset I bought doesn't thread on, maybe that answers my question about the bottom bracket too

ok so I now have all the components stripped, cleaned, polished etc..... replacement brake blocks, wheels rebuilt with stainless spokes, new tyres and tubes, new cables and housings, new chain, a couple of NOS bits for those that were too rusted etc etc......

I'm now turning my attention to the frame - I have straigtened it up at the rear, removed the badge and started to strip it of paint, but I still have found NOTHING on google about this frame, best I found was some bad pictures of one on gumtree

the paint is probably the most metallic blue I've ever seen, I'm really in the dark about how to match it, decal reference would be a great help too, as some of the decals have rubbed off entirely

Re: Re:

t47b":3jmbvoiq said:
Threads stretch under tension so cotter pins usually develop 'waists'. Future tip put two nuts on the cotter pin and hit the outer nut with a large hammer this shock will free it up and protect the threads, but I guess one always uses a new cotter pin anyway as they are easy to get hold of :D

good advice on removing! also if you do replace the cotter pins with new ones file the flats first and try to avoid whacking them in with a hammer as this will create a ridge on the flat and they'll eventually loosen, tighten the nut with a spanner only then bed them in by re-tightening after the first ride....

Griff

Re:

this is what the surface looks like, any ideas?

looks a lot like a morpho butterfly
http://www.pfspublishing.com/.a/6a0133f ... 970b-800wi
https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/ ... cacica.JPG

jK1fC1O.jpg

tehtehteh":2gowvang said:
spokesmann do you know if carltons ever used the funny raleigh threading for their bottom brackets? or were they all standard?

As far as I know they were just the usual standard stuff - 26tpi rings a bell, 68mm shell, please correct me someone if Im wrong.

Latest posts

Back