Help me identify this Carlton (67 - 71)

I have found some of the stuff I need on ebay but the bolts I mentioned I have not been able to find

also this bike came with brake cable outer used for the rear gears, I only know modern bikes well and they have different outers for gear and brake, was this not the case back in the 60s? I would like to follow whatever was original to the bike, and if that means using brake outer for the gears then I'm happy to do this

Re:

My local motor spares/bike bits chain (and for all I know, Halfords too)carries a selection of generic bike bolts. You should be able to get a pinch bolt (with nut/washer) from that source. You're about thirty years too late to get the brake pads from that source, of course.
As for the pivot bolts- probably as easy to find now as then.

If you are intent on restoring this bike to showroom condition, then the following is probably useless: There are a few techniques for cleaning up rusted old chrome in the archives- I seem to remember one involving scrunched up tinfoil and vinegar. That's no substitute for new chrome, of course. The brake lever clamps will be invisible if you are taping the bars anyway.

Fwiw I've never used anything but brake cable outer offcuts between chainstay stop and derailleur on my bikes. I can't remember, but suspect that on this level of bike it would have been the same, from new.

Re: Re:

torqueless":2idaa1pa said:
My local motor spares/bike bits chain (and for all I know, Halfords too)carries a selection of generic bike bolts. You should be able to get a pinch bolt (with nut/washer) from that source. You're about thirty years too late to get the brake pads from that source, of course.
As for the pivot bolts- probably as easy to find now as then.

If you are intent on restoring this bike to showroom condition, then the following is probably useless: There are a few techniques for cleaning up rusted old chrome in the archives- I seem to remember one involving scrunched up tinfoil and vinegar. That's no substitute for new chrome, of course. The brake lever clamps will be invisible if you are taping the bars anyway.

Fwiw I've never used anything but brake cable outer offcuts between chainstay stop and derailleur on my bikes. I can't remember, but suspect that on this level of bike it would have been the same, from new.
I don't expect to restore the bike to showroom condition, I think that would ruin a bit of its character if I did (and ruin my wallet!), I have used the tin foil thing many times before, it helps remove the rust as it's harder than iron oxide but softer than steel, and that helps greatly to clean up a surface, but as you can see in the picture these bolts will never be shiny again. They are part threaded bolts and I would like to find some stainless steel replacements if I can but I can't find some with a head as shallow as the current ones

forgot to add, the lever clamps will be showing because the levers/hoods don't look like they will allow for covering them, and they were left exposed originally

anyone know anything about the lugs on these? the head lugs were bare metal, does this mean they were chrome or stainless or something?

the best picture I have is in the first post, only the head lugs are unpainted, if they are chrome there's not much I can do with them

tehtehteh":d5gnbbnr said:
also this bike came with brake cable outer used for the rear gears, I only know modern bikes well and they have different outers for gear and brake, was this not the case back in the 60s? I would like to follow whatever was original to the bike, and if that means using brake outer for the gears then I'm happy to do this

The special outers only came in with indexed gears (late 1980s) so brake cabling is fine. Modern outers are lined with a teflon tube and are ultra smooth.

tehtehteh":12vk4g79 said:
the best picture I have is in the first post, only the head lugs are unpainted, if they are chrome there's not much I can do with them

Yes they would have been chromed, they are known as Crespera lugs.

Back