Help identifying Raleigh frame.

jocarl011

Old School Hero
Hi, Just bought a Raleigh today and need help identifying the model. It looks like it has Bocama lugs, the serial is a WK but can't see the next number because the cable guide goes over the top! I presume it will be 531 being worksop, I'm sure most the parts on the bike have been added over the years leaving little for identification, they include 105 headset, French made crankset, 600 downtube shifters and brake levers, campag veloce brakes, Normandy lux competition hubs, GB bars.
Rear dropouts have adjusters, there is a little braze on on the rear triangle.

Paintwork is not good, someone has painted over the original red without sanding/stripping! I am taking it to get powdercoated in a couple weeks.

Mmmm. The sloping fork crown makes me think mid-eighties, '83 or later. The Sirocco 12 was the red bike in the line-up at that time. The Competitions had long-point lugs ...

Do you have a close-up picture of the seat cluster?

Here's a competition with shorter lugs and the teardrop cutouts, unfortunately bent LOL

Replacement-Raleigh-04.jpg

Shaun

Ah, but that has the flat top fork crown (and the scalloped seat stays, I presume?).

I hope you weren't riding it when that bend appeared ...?

Re:

Just removed the cable guide for paint stripping and found the serail is WK3 so 1983 is the year if that helps.

Re:

any trace of original colour?

1983 Competition 12 had Prugnat S4 lugs, and was Iridescent Green (with a red undercoat)

Could be a 1984 bike with a 1983 frame though, but from memory they all had Prugnat S4 lugs as well

Back