Help identifying kona frame

Re: Re:

pipmeister":2ybz72co said:
As hamster pointed out, the 1994 Lave Dome and Cinder Cone were identical frames. These were Tange Double Butted Cromo, and both have a Flared Seat Tube at the Bottom Bracket as clearly seen in your second picture.
The seat tube of the '94 Cinder Cone was ovalised at the bottom bracket, but not bulge-butted. You can see the difference in this picture:

download/file.php?id=46330

and this one:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/108757016 ... 057085103/

When viewed from the side, the tube narrows; it's just a round tube that's been squashed slightly. The Prestige seat tube is flared. This is a Prestige seat tube.

If your frame is a respray, I would suggest that the colour green that is visible underneath the yellow around the bottom Bracket in your first picture matches the green of the 1994 Lava Dome ...
There are a few '94 Lava Domes on the forum that don't have upper rack mounts. This frame does. That's not conclusive, but the green layer may not be original paint either. The white layer could be primer, or it could be '95 Kilauea white.

if you could weight your frame, we could compare it to Splatter Paint's Kilauea, which will be lighter as that is constructed from Tange Prestige Concept.
... unless this frame is also Prestige Concept. The seat tube suggests it may be.

pipmeister":2h0mox62 said:
Jim - I was still constructing my cluttered post when you popped yours in front of me.
Yep, we're leapfrogging!

A few measurements of toptube and downtube diameters would clinch it - assuming none of the tubes have been replaced!

one-eyed_jim":3c2y6n4y said:
When viewed from the side, the tube narrows; it's just a round tube that's been squashed slightly. The Prestige seat tube is flared. This is a Prestige seat tube.
Yeah I can see now where I was getting mixed up with the flared Concept Seat Tube seen on this Yellow frame and the "squashed" cromo tube found on a Lava Dome frame.

Cheers Jim.

Pip.

I haven't a proper scale at home so I should take it to the bikeshop. I've seen many photos of the kilauea 94 after your wrote your post and I think you are wright. I'm so happy I asked this question here. Thank you so much for charing your knowledge.

one-eyed_jim":du9wbz6c said:
pipmeister":du9wbz6c said:
As hamster pointed out, the 1994 Lave Dome and Cinder Cone were identical frames. These were Tange Double Butted Cromo, and both have a Flared Seat Tube at the Bottom Bracket as clearly seen in your second picture.
The seat tube of the '94 Cinder Cone was ovalised at the bottom bracket, but not bulge-butted. You can see the difference in this picture:

download/file.php?id=46330

and this one:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/108757016 ... 057085103/

If your frame is a respray, I would suggest that the colour green that is visible underneath the yellow around the bottom Bracket in your first picture matches the green of the 1994 Lava Dome ...
There are a few '94 Lava Domes on the forum that don't have upper rack mounts. This frame does. That's not conclusive, but the green layer may not be original paint either. The white layer could be primer, or it could be '95 Kilauea white.

if you could weight your frame, we could compare it to Splatter Paint's Kilauea, which will be lighter as that is constructed from Tange Prestige Concept.
... unless this frame is also Prestige Concept. The seat tube suggests it may be.

Could it be an explosif 1994? the metallic green paint match and I see that both frames have the tange tapered seat tube.

jellyfishhh":22vusffa said:
Could it be an explosif 1994? the metallic green paint match and I see that both frames have the tange tapered seat tube.
It could be. The difference is in the top- and downtubes.

A '94 Explosif should have a slim, smooth top tube and a fatter ribbed or ridged downtube, like this:

file.php

http://www.retrobike.co.uk/gallery2/mai ... emId=64829

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=221824

A '94/'95 Kilauea has a top- and downtube that are identical to each other, and that taper from front to rear, ovalised vertically at the head tube, and horizontally at the bottom bracket.

Your frame doesn't seem to have a ribbed downtube, but perhaps it's hidden by the thick paint.

Some later '94 Explosifs had a normal downtube, not ultrastrong tube.

Mark

mmm. Both top and downtubes are identical. No like on my explosif 1996. the frame had som tape I removed and the yellow paint comes always with the light green on the back. My theory is that the first white layer is primer for the metallic layer (looks closer to the explosif than the kilauea colour) and then they put a light green layer as a primer for the las yellow. I will take a better picture of the metallic colour during the day

Re:

Perhaps a very early ‘95 Kilauea?

Attachments

• 65F89B49-64A5-4C21-855E-DEB0544F71B6.jpeg
    65F89B49-64A5-4C21-855E-DEB0544F71B6.jpeg
    167.7 KB · Views: 473
  • 70332E70-730C-4C48-9867-20B14F84BF8F.jpeg
    70332E70-730C-4C48-9867-20B14F84BF8F.jpeg
    142 KB · Views: 473
Back