90s konas - Tange db vs prestige frames

M_Chavez

Senior Retro Guru
Hi All,

Looking for a bit of advice about early 90s kona framesets: Was there a big tangible (pun intended) difference between the Tange prestige models (explosif, kilauea, hot) and Tange db (infinity presumably?) frames (cinder cone, lava dome).
I.e. is this the case of a few hundred g in weight saving, or is it a different ride quality & compliance (like comparing Reynolds 501ATB and 531c), if both bikes were equipped with project twos and medium sized tyres.

Probably plenty of people here who ran both framesets at the same time and have done a lot of miles on them.

Thanks!

Like you said, the different tubesets have different characteristics, but it also depends a lot on how it was used/built. The '93 Kilauea for example rides like no other frame i have ridden that uses Prestige, so much flex built into the frame.

Will throw another one into the mix - what on earth is Kona light butted tubing (e.g. 1992 cinder cone)?
Is it just re-badged Tange infinity?
Perhaps some kona experts know these details!

If my bike slots are extremely limited, I take it I'm better off waiting for the right hot/explosif/kilauea to turn up as opposed to getting a cinder cone for a reasonable price and investing into updated components & a re-spray?

Yes. If space is limited, wait and pick up a Hot, Explosif or Kila.

Shouldn’t have to wait too long for the latter two - there is typically one or other available here or on eBay at any given time.

A Hot is a slightly different matter. I waited 18 months track one down.. though, there was a repainted (and vividly orange) 19” one on eBay no more than a week ago.

Sold now though.

Will throw another one into the mix - what on earth is Kona light butted tubing (e.g. 1992 cinder cone)?
Is it just re-badged Tange infinity?
Perhaps some kona experts know these details!

A lot of manufacturers used Tange and had them made to their specs, then labeling up with their own names.

If my bike slots are extremely limited, I take it I'm better off waiting for the right hot/explosif/kilauea to turn up as opposed to getting a cinder cone for a reasonable price and investing into updated components & a re-spray?

And it depends what you want out of the frame, as mentioned they all ride different, a lot so in some cases. And there is nothing wrong with the tubesets Kona specced for their mid range bikes.

A lot of manufacturers used Tange and had them made to their specs, then labeling up with their own names.

And it depends what you want out of the frame, as mentioned they all ride different, a lot so in some cases. And there is nothing wrong with the tubesets Kona specced for their mid range bikes.
Anyone have a comparison with Reynolds tubing??

Thanks.
Two options - if my current gravel build fails (should find out in a week or two), I'd probably want a "gravelised" kona - in this case frame compliance is top priority. If the current build is a success, then I'd like a kona in its original mtb form, but there's no rush - kids are not old enough to properly hit the offroad trails, so I have s couple of years to sort it out.

Old steel konas have been on the bucket list for a very long time. I remember them being very highly regarded & sought after back in the days, but never quite appreciated the variety of tubesets they came in.

Re gravelising a Kona - from bitter experience don't bother!
They are just that bit too long in the top tube to allow drops to fit comfortably. Older mid-range Marins seem OK, likewise I have done a very happy one with a Dawes Edge 653.

Re gravelising a Kona - from bitter experience don't bother!
Not what I wanted to hear, but thank you for the advice - I'll reserve the mtb slot for the kona then. From looking at the geometry, they are not the ideal candidates.
I found marins to be even longer and the top of the range ones have steeper seat tubes.

Dawes 653 sounds great, just need to find one in my size (20-21"). I've been looking at some Thorn frames too, or maybe a Bob Jackson ATB. In any case, my next frameset acquisition might put the gravel bug to rest...for a while that is.

Agreed on later Marins - try pre-1995 and they are shorter, especially Bear Valley and below in the range. They are decent frames (I've ridden a 1990 Palisades with drops for almost 30 years as a do-anything tourer).

I've never tried Treks, but suspect that they could be equally happy conversions. There is a long thread on drop bar MTBs here which might help your search.

Post-95 everything got longer, and then the geometry started to shift for longer travel forks, again making things less suitable.

Back