Help identifying kona frame

jellyfishhh

Dirt Disciple
Hi,
Sorry for another "help identifying my kona" topic. I need help with this one (tried catalogues and google).

These dropouts should be 1994-1995. not "kona" on them. My 96 explosif has "kona" on them.
The seat tube looks like A 94-95 tange? (looks like a kilauea.

Colour looks strange (many layers): steel-white- dark metallic green (similar to exlosif)- light green- yellow!!!!!

Could somebody help me identifying this frame? It came with an rock shox mag 21 fork.

Codes are:
Drive side (top BB): BI 0569
Non drive side: F4060274
Under BB: 4I 05

Re:

F4 means Fairly works, 1994. It looks like it's been resprayed by your description and photos. With those features and dark green could mean Cinder Cone, 1993 model, but who knows.

1994 Lava Dome was also metallic dark green - but was an identical frame to the Cinder Cone that year anyway.

Thank you very much for the information. What about the tapered seat tube? I thought it was only tange tubing that made it that way, I'm I wrong then? I agree about the weight. I should weight it the day I remove all the paint. It's way heavier than my 96 explosiv but it's a kona anyway :)

A '93 frame would have a '92-'93 serial number, and those aren't '93 dropouts. A '94 serial number means a '94/'95 frame.

That's a bulge-butted Tange Prestige seat tube, which - I think - should make it a Kilauea or Explosif. Are the main tubes shaped in any way? Tapered? Ovalized? Ribbed?

Re:

As your serial number starts with F4 it would have been manufactured at the Fairly Works in 1994, which is what Al pointed out.

Kona frames that were produced towards the end of the year are usually for the next year's range. Therefore a frame from the 1994 range will either have a F3 Prefix or an F4 prefix. So your frame with an F4 prefix, won't from the previous year of 1993.

As hamster pointed out, the 1994 Lave Dome and Cinder Cone were identical frames. These were Tange Double Butted Cromo, and both have a Flared Seat Tube at the Bottom Bracket as clearly seen in your second picture.

If your frame is a respray, I would suggest that the colour green that is visible underneath the yellow around the bottom Bracket in your first picture matches the green of the 1994 Lava Dome, which is what hamster also pointed out.

BTW; a thick coating of wet paint weighs very nearly 100 grams, so if you could weight your frame, we could compare it to Splatter Paint's Kilauea, which will be lighter as that is constructed from Tange Prestige Concept.

Pip.

Re:

Jim - I was still constructing my cluttered post when you popped yours in front of me.

I think we agree about the year of manufacture, but I'm currently looking for a good picture of the 1994 Lave Dome Seat Tube at the bottom bracket, but can't find one - I have a Lava Dome frame here, but it is well packed and tucked away.

However, I'm now inclined to agree with your view that this yellow frame is a Kilauea or Explosif - but weighing it will help decide.

Pip.

Latest posts

Back