Help dating a Boulder

Smithjss70

BoTM Winner
Feedback
View
I just received a nice but gigantic Boulder Defiant or Gazelle and was hoping to put a hard date on the frame in order to correctly spec the build. I've lusted for these frames since the early 90s and am very happy to have found it. After a thorough inspection, the frame is in extremely good condition and without any stress fractures, cracks etc. at the typical locales. With that, I plan to build it up and enjoy it. The rear derailleur cable runs inside the RH chainstay which is cool. The shock was recently serviced but I may opt for converting over to air via Risse damper if I see any leaks once the build begins. Here are the measurements. I'm 6'2"/188cm so it will work out just fine.

Seat tube is 21" center to top

Top tube approximately 23" (center to center from seat clamp)

I've read most all of the posts on here and gleaned enough info from Elite504, Mr. Toad and others that suggest its either a 91 or 92. Now for the additional clues.

The serial number 70206

cc8uNM.jpg

Pic of the square tubing connecting the rear triangle.

5c5GMc.jpg

The head tube detail obviously missing the head badge which I'll have to deal with but there seems to be some options

fXqd8p.jpg

Seat tube, although a little scary without traditional support, is fracture free and 28.6mm.

L0J0j3.jpg

Head tube is 1 1/4" which will be challenging to find what I'm after in an RS-1. If this is a 92' I should have a few more options with a Mag 20 I guess.

ntJNV2.jpg

Closer inspection suggests the frame may have been bright red at one time.

VksDSr.jpg

And the requisite side shot...

rY61zW.jpg

If you guys have any additional info, suggestions or comments I'm open to input. I plan to build this up with Syncros and XT, go with a nice powder coat from Spectrum and try like Hell to find an RS-1 and color code it as well. Lot's of NOS parts already in route but still deciding on frame color, rims, and tires. I have some NOS silver Onza HOs that are post Boulder but are really cool. Look forward to hearing from you folks!

Cheers,
Jason

Re:

Really nice frame in great shape.

My guess is 2nd generation with the 1 1/4" hs and straight rear sub-frame support tube.

Seeing these Boulders always urges me to move my Gazelle back up the build cache.

Thanks! It's a great survivor and I'm looking quite forward to restoring it. Struggling with finding a fork though and I know it won't be easy to find. Considering Mantiou I, RS-1 or even a Mag 20 at this point. I'll start an appropriate build thread soon but thanks again for the info!

Smithjss70":rdx5xxlx said:
Thanks father response. So you're thinking 92 Defiant?
I would agree for the year :92 with the square tube above the BB.
It was missing in 91 and the Work Performance shock was swap for Risse racing in 93.

But for name : Defiant or Gazelle ?

From what I gather, Rich Williams (Boulder) was sued over the name Gazelle by Raleigh circa 1991 so it stands to reason they (Boulder) may have made a running change over to Defiant by 1992. Very hard to pin down evidence to support this and little info around serial numbers as a source to dating a frame. I think I'll keep looking but expect this will be built up as a Defiant.

Updated to add this http://www.retrobike.co.uk/gallery2/v/M ... 0.jpg.html

From 1992 catalogue. "Defiant is the new name of the bike we introduced in 1991" so I think this confirms it for me. 1992 Boulder Definat Large so options just opened up a bit with Shimano or Suntour and Rock Shox Mag 20 or Manitou.

Re:

Sometimes serial number is a mess... :facepalm:
For Merlin, they follow the year, for Klein, its an hexadecimal delirium...
My defiant ti got 01 stamped on the rear dropout but I don't think it's the first made :D

My Boulder Intrepid AL is serial number 70278, and I am reasonably sure that it is a 1992. Nice find! Looking forward to the build. I have a 1 1/4" Manitou 3 fork that needs new elastomers (don't they all?).

Good luck!

Re:

Yep!

I just did that for a couple M IIIs but they were for other projects. I was leaning toward a color-coded RS-1 or a Mag 20 or 30 series for the Boulder but may go with Gen 1 Mantiou as I really enjoyed the simple design of these forks while servicing the IIIs. Time will tell.

G9EVwY.jpg

hLzE1p.jpg

X8KmeB.jpg

Back