Help and advice wanted on Jack Hearn rebuild

Mikeymilan

Retro Newbie
Hello
I've found a yellow Jack Hearn (1970s I believe) which was in a shocking state.
I need a replacement groupset, brake leavers, maybe crank and probably bb.

I'm thinking a Suntour Cyclone would fit nicely but open to suggestions
it came with a rusted, beyond repair, simplex groupset which after some research wasn't that great anyway?

It's fitted with a Maxy crank, which may be ok, is it worth replacing?

it is fitted with Mafac racer brakes which are serviceable and decent enough. Which brake leavers would work? I'm thinking of some tektro r200 or TRP RRL Drop Bar Lever, if my budget will stretch but open to suggestions.

have some campy 27" wheels which will fit nicely

Anyone have any thoughts or ideas?

Nice one :) back in the 70's there want such a thing as the gropset for us normal folk. We simply used what we had, got handed down and most importantly used the stuff we thought looked good :) the Maxy crank was the first step up from a steel crank. In 5 speed guise it stuck out a mile and made the chain line tricky.

Thanks Old school, i'm not to fussy about having it pristine with matching parts but want to fit it out with at least mostly period parts although I do like to be able to stop so will likely have modern/ modernish brake leavers but will try and get ones with gum hoods to tone down the modern fetish for black.
Not to bothered having all Campy either as I believe they were generally inferior at the time anyway?
Also want to work to a budget, bartering, finding and hunting down parts to get it right, all part of the adventure..

Were the maxy cranks any good?

Your thoughts and knowledge are appreciated.

Make sure you get it done the famous JH yellow like mine :)
bek2w.jpg

Re:

Yep exactly, except I haven't fully cleaned mine yet!
Any pictures of the finished bike?
What parts do you have planned/ installed?

Re: Re:

Mikeymilan":2vve31a2 said:
Yep exactly, except I haven't fully cleaned mine yet!
Any pictures of the finished bike?
What parts do you have planned/ installed?

A special project bike to recognize a former triple 25 mile TT champion :)

Latest posts

Back