HELP! 3mm Tap Broken Inside Dropout!!

Grind out anything sticking into the dropout. Run other side without adjuster. Many many bikes never have the adjusters and many more had the adjusters chuckedout when bent or bust. Just bung the wheel right back. You'll never notice a thing.

All the above advice is good to me but if all fails, buy one of these............

download.jpg

I never bother with these on any of my bikes, I generally find that the threads have had it anyway and re-tapping them ends up with the sort of problem you are having. I also can't say that I have ever experienced a wheel pulling over because of their absence. Just fit the wheel with the QR reasonably tight and all should be well.

Sometimes I have been lucky and got broken taps out by using a hardened small punch made from a old tap or HSS (high speed steel)drill, hitting the tap to chip away pieces as it is holding on 3 points. As has been said a spark eroder is a good option but very expensive if you just walk into a engineering shop, Thay need to make a copper electrode ,setup the job and submerge the whole thing in dielectric fluid.just go with the leave it in and live with it.

yup, i think that i'm stuck with the tap in place. my chum who is
an engineer has tried to get it out (fnarrr) but to no avail. he is
going to try and make some kind of packing wedge to sit inside
the dropout to prevent the wheel shifting.

fingers crossed..

There are commercially available tap removal tools.Do you have access to an ultra sonic bath?These can help loosen any crud,& even the tap,to some degree.

i haven't heard of such a thing. he's been in the engineering game for a long
time now and knows his stuff. will ask him later this week. thanks for that.

:)

Back