Health and safety in the workshop

Need anybody on this site be reminded of this?

abcd0008_436.jpg

2 tendons, nerve damage and scarring...

chris667":390g4tdt said:
JeRkY":390g4tdt said:
You stabbed yourself in the groin :shock:....twice! :shock: :shock:

To stab yourself once in the groin is unfortunate. Twice is just careless. :p

:LOL: :oops: All better now :)

My only experience of these machines was my dads mate ground down the top of his thumb with one. While using he was chatting to a work mate. Then noticed all this 'red' stuff and looked down and then passed out. No thumb down to the joint :shock:

In my own defence ,the first time was early in my apprenticeship,with the only girls wear chainmail type of attitude.
The second time was many years later and i was wearing mail[lesson learned ;) ],only it was caught up on my knife belt and my knife just slipped around the side of it,that one was minor really.

My friend, Mark, owns a small engineering company. One of the guys in Mark's workshop was incredibly careless, and had already had close shaves with grinders and cropping machines.

Then Mark walked into the workshop one day and found this guy reaching beneath the spinning cutting blades of a milling machine to retrieve the piece of steel he was working on. He hadn't bothered to turn it off beforehand.

He was called into the office and sacked "for his own good" and was advised never to get a job in an engineering workshop again.

Should the bench grinder have been bolted down? How did you use it if it wasn't?

legrandefromage":1v0okn1t said:
Need anybody on this site be reminded of this?

2 tendons, nerve damage and scarring...

I take a lot more care with my grinder since your wrestling match LGF

I know 2 lads that have lost whole fingers on wood working spindles and I was always ultra cautious when I worked in the workshop, we had some machines that would slice you up in seconds if you weren't paying attention.

Easy_Rider":98w3jjek said:
Should the bench grinder have been bolted down? How did you use it if it wasn't?

yes it should be bolted down. it has a wide baso on it though so it is still useable without being bolted in place.

lewis1641":2igbj9rz said:
Just used my mates bench grinder. Then went to pick it up. It was still spinning. My thumb hurts. That is all.

The thing that's puzzling me is why you would try to pick up a bench grinder?
And wasn't it bolted to the bench ?? :roll:

Edit - great minds thinking alike. Simultaneously... :roll: :roll: sorry.

Andy R":2ik30v1t said:
lewis1641":2ik30v1t said:
Just used my mates bench grinder. Then went to pick it up. It was still spinning. My thumb hurts. That is all.

The thing that's puzzling me is why you would try to pick up a bench grinder?
And wasn't it bolted to the bench ?? :roll:

Edit - great minds thinking alike. Simultaneously... :roll: :roll: sorry.

Mine is'nt bolted down, sometimes stand on it to use it and kick it back under the bench while it's still spinning, or throw it to a mate and shout "here catch" :LOL:

Bench grinders are'nt too bad (still need caution, i dont condone the above behaviour), it's angle grinders i hate, sometimes essential though, i had a disc shatter on one years ago while grinding down the welds on a wheel arch repair, the guard came loose and jammed the disc shattering it into 100's of bits, when this happened the grinder jumped out of my hands, a miracle i was'nt injured as i could hear bits of the disc falling and hitting the roof of the car etc a few seconds later :shock:, only protective gear i had on was gloves and a T-shirt, i now use them with extreme caution.

I keep thinking, stop being a wooss and get some power tools, you'll be fine if your careful. Then I read a thread like this and find myself gazing with new respect at my hand drill and hammer.

Thanks lads, you guys help me remain a technophobe ;)

Back