Headset/Steerer size differences?

Void(EN12-82)

Senior Retro Guru
Feedback
View
Hi all,

Because the Manitou in my KLEIN has play in it (upper/lower stanchions) I was gonna swap it for a Rock Shox RS-1 fork.

Both forks should be 1" (as is the head tube of my Rascal). The Manitou was mounted in the frame with a 1" Dia Compe ahead headset. The RS-1 is threaded but also supposedly 1" because I can get a 1" Mission Control stem/bar into the steerer.

Weird thing is: when I was about to change the headset race, it just falls loosely over the RS-1's steerer. And even though it has an extra crown race (like a SwitchBlades has), it still falls right over it and there is play in it (as if you put a 1.1/8" race over a 1" fork crown).

So uhm... is there any difference between 1" headsets? Is there anything special I have to take into account when I go look for a 1" threaded headset for my RS-1/Rascal?? The RS-1 is completely original, so no different crown or steerer or something.

Any of you guys have an idea or advice? Would appreciate it, thanx! :)

Void(EN12-82)

I believe there are two crown race inner diameters for 1" headsets. 26.4mm (ISO, more common) and 27.0mm (JIS). Sounds like the headset crown race is 27 and the fork steerer is 26.4.

Latest posts

Back