Headset problems

slackboy

Bontrager Fan
Feedback
View
Hi,

I had a new cane creek 40 headset fitted to my stumpjumper a few months ago. Its been hung up by the front wheel for a while and when I took it down the headset was knocking a bi.

When I tried to adjust, I couldn't take the play out of it without binding, it also seemed "indexed", moving smoothly around the centre then binding when turned more than about 20 degrees in either direction.

I've taken it all apart re-greased and re-assembled but the problem remains.

Any ideas what the problem might be and whether hanging vertically could have caused it?

Sounds like it needs replacing. The bearing races are pitted, which causes the indexing. This is most definitely not caused by hanging the bike by the front wheel! Either some dirt has got in there, or it's a low quality headset, or it was installed incorrectly or not very well.

ya - just think, when you ride the bike up and down bumps and holes and trails and curbs, the impact forces on the bearing races will be far greater than just the simple gravitational weight of the bike itself hanging ... so it certainly wasn't that!

Re:

It sounds like one or both of your headset cups aren't in square, dismantle it, remove the forks and use a hammer and block of wood to try and seat them better. I've just had exactly the same problem with a headset I fitted a couple of weeks ago. A couple of sharp blows from the hammer sorted it.

Re:

Thanks for the tips. I'll give reseating it a try. It was a good quality headset and has only had about 50 miles of use

Just come in from the workshop wrestling with a 1" 40 series brand new, just fitted and can't for the life of me get it to have no free play. Cups are flush/straight plenty of spacers and I have tightened up the bolt till the bars are very stiff but it still has some minor play.
I have come to the conclusion they are shit!

And we are not alone !!
http://forums.mtbr.com/tooltime/cane-cr ... 58042.html

Latest posts

Back